Improvement Needed for Annotation Tools in Speedgrader

CoreyL
Community Member

We have switched to Canvas this semester, and I've found that the annotation tools on Google Assignments are considerably more user friendly than what I have at my disposal on Canvas. In Canvas's defense, I find that the formatting and organization of SpeedGrader is superior to Google Assignments, but when I actually start to highlight, strike-out, or just generally comment on individual words and sentences, it is frustrating. Usually, I have to click multiple times for a strike-out or highlighting annotation to begin. Area annotations seem to work fine, but that isn't always suited to the task. What if I want to highlight an individual word that is used repetitively? In a case like that, I'll be wishing I was on Google Assignments. 

Now, don't get me wrong, it is possible to use all of the tools, and I do. They are not "incompatible" with the browser, but they certainly are not crisp. I am not that technical of a person. But, it is hard sometimes to even get the strike-out tool to begin with the right letter. Sometimes, for whatever reason, it is hard to get it to start working at all without clicking over and over again. I have never had that problem on a Google Doc. 

Deleting annotations can be a chore as well. Here again, I often have to try to delete them multiple times, it's like it just doesn't register. And the annoyance is compounded by the fact that deleting an annotation is a several click process anyway. So when it doesn't work, I may end up clicking 4-6 buttons to delete one annotation. It's so clunky. 

So my question is what's causing this problem and is it being addressed?

I use Google Chrome and my browser is updated automatically. I have experience using SpeedGrader on several different desktops and laptops, and these problems are consistent. I am leaving this comment because it has gotten to the point where, if at all possible, I will be using an alternative to grading on Canvas if I can find a solution over winter break. Fortunately, our grades are officially reported on PowerSchool, not Canvas. Ideally, I will simply transfer the grades over and cut Canvas out entirely where I can (unless improvements are made). The assignment may be posted on Canvas, but it will not be graded on Canvas. The platform is just too annoying for an instructor who engages with written work the way that I do. 

Labels (1)