cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dvinton
Community Member

In making a quiz/test, what is the purpose and benefit of making a question group rather than just adding questions?

Jump to solution

In making a quiz/test, what is the purpose and benefit of making a question group rather than just adding questions?  Are questions in a group graded differently?  Please advise.

#quiz

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

HI  @dvinton  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community!  Perhaps the biggest benefit of using a question group is to randomize questions.  You may have noticed when setting up a quiz that there is no option to randomize the questions within the quiz itself, but there IS when using a question group.  (In fact, questions within a question group will always be randomized.)  This specific benefit is outlined in Notes box at the top of this documentation page: How do I create a quiz with a question group to randomize quiz questions? 

They may also come in handy for your own sanity when you are creating or editing a quiz, to differentiate questions by type (Essay/TF/MC) or perhaps by general topic area.  (Students do NOT see the groups when taking the quiz.)   Additionally, when importing from a question bank, you can plop questions into a group, as indicated on a screen capture on this page: How do I create a quiz by finding questions in a question bank?   That way you can (for example) separate the questions that you created yourself from those that you imported from a question bank should you want to.

I'm sure others in the Community with a lot more field experience with creating quizzes will chime in with some of their own suggestions.  (Most of my experience comes from helping other faculty, as an administrator.)  I might also add that I always suggest the following document before launching a quiz: Quiz Settings to Maximize Security, created by the great  @kona ‌, who is the Community's resident quizzing expert!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kblack
Community Member

HI  @dvinton  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community!  Perhaps the biggest benefit of using a question group is to randomize questions.  You may have noticed when setting up a quiz that there is no option to randomize the questions within the quiz itself, but there IS when using a question group.  (In fact, questions within a question group will always be randomized.)  This specific benefit is outlined in Notes box at the top of this documentation page: How do I create a quiz with a question group to randomize quiz questions? 

They may also come in handy for your own sanity when you are creating or editing a quiz, to differentiate questions by type (Essay/TF/MC) or perhaps by general topic area.  (Students do NOT see the groups when taking the quiz.)   Additionally, when importing from a question bank, you can plop questions into a group, as indicated on a screen capture on this page: How do I create a quiz by finding questions in a question bank?   That way you can (for example) separate the questions that you created yourself from those that you imported from a question bank should you want to.

I'm sure others in the Community with a lot more field experience with creating quizzes will chime in with some of their own suggestions.  (Most of my experience comes from helping other faculty, as an administrator.)  I might also add that I always suggest the following document before launching a quiz: Quiz Settings to Maximize Security, created by the great  @kona ‌, who is the Community's resident quizzing expert!

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@dvinton , in addition to the great suggestions you got from  @kblack , I'll add that one of the reasons I like to use question groups is that it gives me a quick way to assign different point values to groups of questions because of their different levels of complexity (or for whatever reason). I might have 10 T/F questions I want to be worth 2 points each, 10 M/C questions that I want contributing 5 points each, and 3 media/video comprehension questions that should be worth 10 points each. I can quickly create three question groups and drag those questions into their respective question groups--students don't see the groups or their titles--and assign point values to all of the questions in the group in one fell swoop rather than having to edit each question individually. And you see how I was also able to quickly make my quiz worth 100 points (to mimic a percentage)?