cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner

In the new quiz/test platform, is there a way to record/upload media?

Jump to solution

In the old quizzes platform, it was possible to easily press a button and record/upload media with the click of a button. In the new quiz/test platform under assignments, this button no longer appears in the creation platform, therefore making it less user-friendly for providing students with an "audio" reading of test questions.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Tiffany,

The Rich Content Editor in Quizzes.Next is currently different than in the rest of Canvas and you are correct, the Record/Upload Media button is missing.  But there is a different option that will work for uploading audio and video.  Click on the Upload Media button that looks like an image (4th icon from the right).  This tool can be used to upload image, audio or video files.  No recording, but uploading is at least supported. 

307845_pastedImage_1.png

Rick

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Tiffany,

The Rich Content Editor in Quizzes.Next is currently different than in the rest of Canvas and you are correct, the Record/Upload Media button is missing.  But there is a different option that will work for uploading audio and video.  Click on the Upload Media button that looks like an image (4th icon from the right).  This tool can be used to upload image, audio or video files.  No recording, but uploading is at least supported. 

307845_pastedImage_1.png

Rick

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Rick,

Thank you for responding to my question. My hope is that as Canvas continues to develop Quizzes.Next, they might consider retaining this recording tool. While the ability to upload media exists, it isn't nearly as user-friendly for quick, on-the-spot recordings of reading the question that is being generated for the quiz. 

Highlighted

I agree with Tiffany.  This is posted here as a Question, but if it has not been submitted yet as an Idea, I'm happy to submit.  I had two 5th grade teachers come to me today for help with this exactly.  They used to be able to record the questions for read-aloud.  Now they have to record elsewhere and upload the files - not efficient at all.  And apparently the audio file types they were uploading are no longer accepted.

Canvas fixed the Media Recording tool so it is no longer Flash-based -- it also need to be available in quizzes.next.

Highlighted

Thank you so much!

Highlighted

That is ok, but in the Classic Quizzes platform I was able to upload audio created in Quicktime in .m4a format with not problem. However in the New Quiz platform I am unable to upload these same audios in the m4a format because New Quiz platform does not support this format. Why was that changed and how can that be fixed?

Highlighted

Same, please. It is essential for language class that it be easy to upload and have students record audio.