cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fixt1
Surveyor II

Inactive Students Reply to Messages Bug?

Jump to solution

Hello,

We have found that an inactive student can reply to an instructor's message in their inbox and it will not be delivered to the instructor and no notification will be sent to the student that the message was not received.

Do others find this to be the case and is there a possible fix for this issue?

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@fixt1 ,

I would also recommend opening a ticket with Instructure Support (if you haven't already) and letting them know what you are seeing.  It is my understanding that this should not be the case.  If it is a bug, Support needs to know ASAP.

Robbie

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@fixt1 ,

I would also recommend opening a ticket with Instructure Support (if you haven't already) and letting them know what you are seeing.  It is my understanding that this should not be the case.  If it is a bug, Support needs to know ASAP.

Robbie

View solution in original post

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@fixt1 ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

lesley_cryderma
Learner II

We just encountered this as well. An instructor withdrew a student which puts them into Inactive Status in the course. The student responded to the message in which the instructor told them they were going to initiate a withdrawal but the instructor never got it because the student was already Inactive. There was no notification provided to the student to say that the message was not sent.

I understand that it is probably working as intended (an inactive student cannot message the instructor via the Inbox) however, there SHOULD DEFINITELY be a non-delivery message of some sort.

@ ‌, have you initiated a support ticket for this?

I am currently working through my district Admin and our CSR to pursue it.  Thanks Stefanie!

Lesley

Thank you,  @ ‌! Let us know what you hear back, if you have a moment.

stefaniesanders‌ Our CSM indicates that this is a low priority for bug fixes on engineer's list. The suggestion is to NOT use Inactive status and use Concluded instead. They consider this a work around and that is why the bug fix is low priority.

However, this does not work for us as when students are withdrawn from the courses by our SIS system, we use Inactive status for another application that pulls data needed to validate the Last Date of Attendance for financial aid reporting.

Hopefully the bug will be fixed soon. In the meantime we will instruct our teachers to include their email addresses when notifying students that they are being withdrawn.

Lesley

Thank you for the update,  @ ‌; it's good to know you have an interim solution, even if it is not optimal.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Adventurer

Sheesh.  I just reported this as a bug too.  This is not good for students who need to contact their teacher, they will feel ignored and probably give up.

I just tested with a concluded student, and it appears that student is also allowed to reply to a message but it doesn't actually get sent.  So, using Conclude instead of Deactivate doesn't improve the situation.  Can anyone confirm this?