Jump to solution

How do I set up individual meetings with students in Canvas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi s.f.burman@sussex.ac.uk Welcome to the Canvas Community.  There is a really awesome tool in Canvas called the Scheduler that will do this very thing.  There are instructions starting here, though be aware it continues on for another couple of pages:  How do I add a Scheduler appointment group in a course calendar?  (Click the Next Topic link at the bottom of the lesson to go on to the next page.)  Also, as the beginning of that article points out, this must be turned on at your institution, so if you do not have this capability be sure to check in with your local Canvas administrator.  

Students may not be used to this tool, however, depending on how many others at your institution are using it.  I highly recommend that you check out the student guide for this, as well, and also link to it for your students.  Their documentation is here:  How do I sign up for a Scheduler appointment in the Calendar?  (This is one of those things where the otherwise reliable "Student View" will not help you in Canvas to get the full student perspective.)

I hope this helps a bit, Stephen!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi s.f.burman@sussex.ac.uk Welcome to the Canvas Community.  There is a really awesome tool in Canvas called the Scheduler that will do this very thing.  There are instructions starting here, though be aware it continues on for another couple of pages:  How do I add a Scheduler appointment group in a course calendar?  (Click the Next Topic link at the bottom of the lesson to go on to the next page.)  Also, as the beginning of that article points out, this must be turned on at your institution, so if you do not have this capability be sure to check in with your local Canvas administrator.  

Students may not be used to this tool, however, depending on how many others at your institution are using it.  I highly recommend that you check out the student guide for this, as well, and also link to it for your students.  Their documentation is here:  How do I sign up for a Scheduler appointment in the Calendar?  (This is one of those things where the otherwise reliable "Student View" will not help you in Canvas to get the full student perspective.)

I hope this helps a bit, Stephen!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Stephen,

Ken's answer (above) is spot on, but I also wanted to highlight another cool Canvas feature that you might find useful for this purpose. Canvas Conferences, which runs on a technology called BigBlueButton, enables you to connect with students remotely in real (or 'live') time. While it's no substitution for face-to-face meetings, Conferences is great for holding virtual office hours, for example, or for meeting with students who can't make it to campus to meet with you in person. Here's a great doc to get you started: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10738-67952724138 

Best,

Sarah

Labels