cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emily_morgan
Community Member

Individualizing a Group Assignment

Jump to solution

TL:DR:  When a group is assigned something, is it possible for each student within the group to submit an individual, different item?

Differentiating assignments is awesome, and I'm glad we have the ability to do it.  It is curious, however, that we can't assign a specific assignment to a particular group without first making it a Group Assignment.  I want the ability to assign a specific group a particular task--but each student within the group needs to submit a different, independent file.  Is this possible?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @emily_morgan ‌- For something that you describe, you are actually better off considering creating sections in your class instead since you can, indeed, create differentiated assignments and assign them to sections.  (How do I assign an assignment to a course section? )  Rather than re-invent the wheel, you may also want to check out this discussion in the Community and the link that it refers to:  https://community.canvaslms.com/message/82897-re-could-anyone-describe-the-differences-between-a-sec... 

The only other alternative I can think of is to create a differentiated assignment but assign it to the specific students in each group, which can be a bit of work, unfortunately!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @emily_morgan ‌- For something that you describe, you are actually better off considering creating sections in your class instead since you can, indeed, create differentiated assignments and assign them to sections.  (How do I assign an assignment to a course section? )  Rather than re-invent the wheel, you may also want to check out this discussion in the Community and the link that it refers to:  https://community.canvaslms.com/message/82897-re-could-anyone-describe-the-differences-between-a-sec... 

The only other alternative I can think of is to create a differentiated assignment but assign it to the specific students in each group, which can be a bit of work, unfortunately!

View solution in original post

Thank you so much, Ken!  This is exactly the information I was searching for.  I love the Canvas Community.

Glad I could help, Morgan!