cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Insert link and Validator Check at Canvas

Jump to solution

I insert the youtube video (but setup the image not display), just the hyperlink. Then when we use the Link Validator to check my courses at Canvas, It always show "Eternal links in this resource were unreachable:"  Does anyone know how to fix it?

This is the Link Validator result

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi Fannie,

Thanks for that, given that it does work, and Rick mentioning he has seen this a bit over the last few weeks, I would recommend you reach out to Canvas Support via the help menu in Canvas to report it to them as this may be a bug. Canvas support will be able to look at your specific issue and see if it is something that needs to be fixed in the core of Canvas.

I hope that helps!

Stuart

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Fannie,

I wanted to check, the image you posted looks like you have a problem with an equation editor, was that what you called the link to the video? 

I would like to double check and make sure, as, I don't want to send you down the wrong path, also, if you copy the link and paste it in your browser into the address bar does it work or fail?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Stuart

Highlighted

Hi Stuart,

The link in my browser is work.  Only the Canvas Validator show it's not working.

Thanks

Fannie

Highlighted

Hi Fannie,

Thanks for that, given that it does work, and Rick mentioning he has seen this a bit over the last few weeks, I would recommend you reach out to Canvas Support via the help menu in Canvas to report it to them as this may be a bug. Canvas support will be able to look at your specific issue and see if it is something that needs to be fixed in the core of Canvas.

I hope that helps!

Stuart

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you very much, Stuart.

😉

Fannie

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Fannie,

I think I've seen posts over the last few weeks that the Link Validator is not working correctly with YouTube videos.  Much like you report, links are showing as broken even when the videos are fine.  I just tested this myself and when I embed a YouTube video (my normal practice), the validator is correct with no errors.  But if I just paste the link on the page then it shows as a broken link.

If you are ok with embedding a video that is one way to fix this.  In the RCE you just click the insert/edit media button and paste in the YouTube url.

331514_pastedImage_1.png

Personally, I am a big fan of embedding videos so that you keep students in your course.  Sending them out to YouTube introduces a lot of distractions.

Rick

Highlighted

Hi Rick, 

The link is fine, as I don't want to display the image of YouTube video because this is an assignment for student and the link just for their reference if they have question about how to add equation. So the link is okay and no problem when click it on assignment, but it just annoy when use Link Validation to check the all links and show this is a problem.

Thanks

Fannie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi Rick, 

The link is fine, as I don't want to display the image of YouTube video, just want a link. It works when click the link, it just the CANVAS Validator check said it's a problem.

Thanks

Highlighted
Learner II

We have noticed this as well and it is very bothersome. I reached out to support to report the issue (Case #048227) and the ;response fro Canvas was:

"It does appear to be expected behavior. Pasted YouTube URLs will trigger a flag from the tool as the tool cannot fully connect to the link due to how it redirects." 

I pushed to explain that the default way that of adding YouTube videos causing a broken link warning is a problem and something that should be fixed and they replied: 

"After looking into the behavior you're experiencing with the link validator, we can confirm that this it is not a bug. The link validator attempts to connect to the sites that are linked into the course.  It is common that YouTube videos that are inserted via copy and paste pop up in the validator based on how Google (YouTube) allows their pages to be viewed."

So essentially the response from Canvas is that valid YouTube links added to the Rich Text Editor will show up in the Course Link Validator incorrectly as "External links in this resource were unreachable":

Screenshot of the validator incorrectly showing the error message "External links in this resource were unreachable".

Unfortunately, Canvas does not consider this a bug and as such, I assume they have no plans of fixing it. Perhaps if more people send the issue in to support they will consider otherwise. When faculty links incorrectly identified as broken, it makes it more difficult to identify and give credibility to links that really are broken. 

Labels