Insert videos in new RCE so they download when export course

Jump to solution
ruthmatheny
Community Member

In the old Rich Content Editor our county would upload videos (mp4 files) in the file uploader on the right. Doing this put the mp4 on the page as linked text (similar to what shows when you upload a pdf) and then when you saved the page there was also a video below the linked words. When you export the course for offline access the mp4 file was available for students to download and was listed in the exported files folder.

Now in the new Rich Content Editor, I can only get an mp4 file to upload using Insert > Media. This embeds the video on the page. Problem is when you export the course for offline access the mp4 file is no longer included.

Anyone know how to insert the mp4 file so that it exports the file?

I have also tried adding the video to files first and then inserting and they still are not included in course export.

This is how we have students export the course for offline access: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Student-Guide/How-do-I-view-course-content-offline-as-an-HTML-fil...

0 Likes
1 Solution

@Chris_Hofer 

YouTube isn’t an option for us. We want students to be able to export the course at school where we have internet and take their computer with the exported files home to work offline if they don’t have internet access. They wouldn’t be able to watch the videos with YouTube.

This is the work around we have figured out and it seems to be working for us so far:

1) In your course, go to FilesMake a folder for the files that will go into the module you are working on. Since my module name is “Jan. 20 Example Module” I will create a folder with the same name. This helps me keep the files for my module organized.

2) Click on the folder to open it. Upload the video (mp4) or audio (mp3) file.

3) Once the file is uploaded, right click on the file and select Copy link address

4) Go to the page or assignment in your module where you want to place the video. Press Edit. In the new Rich Content Editor, select Insert > Link > External Link.

5) In the Insert Link window, paste the video link you copied into the Link field. In the Text field, type “Offline Access:” and then the name of the video file. 

6) The link will display inthe Rich Content Editor box. This will allow offline students to access the video when your course is exported. 

7) Next, click Insert > Media > Course Media to embed the video onto the page for online students to access. Choose the same video file and click on it to embed it. Then you can close the Add window pane on the right (X at the top). 

😎 Click the Save button to save your changes. Your page will now have the video available for both offline and online access.

When exporting your course and working offline, the video at the bottom will display the sad face Icon, indicating that it can only be watched online. However, students will be able to click on the link above the video to download to the computer and watch.

View solution in original post