cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rrudd
Surveyor II

Instructor comments on drafts available to peer reviewers?

Jump to solution

When I make comments on a peer reviewed draft, do the other students see my comments to the author?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @rrudd ‌ - No; they do not.  In fact, this is shown on a screen capture under the View Peer Review heading on this page from the online student guide:  How do I submit a peer review to an assignment? (Note the gray text box over the right:  As a peer reviewing student, you will only see comments written by you.

That said, however, I strongly encourage faculty at my own institution to mute the assignment while grading, much as they should for most items that require grading.  (Muting it does not in any way stop students from submitting the original assignment or submitting their peer reviews.) The reason is that if it is left unmuted, the original student submitting the assignment will be able to see your comments as soon as they are available, if they know where to look.  And once a student sees the instructor's comments, will they really pay as much attention to a fellow students' (peer) review?  That's a debatable subject, to be sure, but at least while the assignment is muted, all comments will be hidden until you unmute it, at which point the students will see all of the comments submitted at the same time....yours as well as their peer reviewers.  (Just my editorial $0.02 while I have your attention.  Smiley Happy  )

I hope this helps, Rebecca!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @rrudd ‌ - No; they do not.  In fact, this is shown on a screen capture under the View Peer Review heading on this page from the online student guide:  How do I submit a peer review to an assignment? (Note the gray text box over the right:  As a peer reviewing student, you will only see comments written by you.

That said, however, I strongly encourage faculty at my own institution to mute the assignment while grading, much as they should for most items that require grading.  (Muting it does not in any way stop students from submitting the original assignment or submitting their peer reviews.) The reason is that if it is left unmuted, the original student submitting the assignment will be able to see your comments as soon as they are available, if they know where to look.  And once a student sees the instructor's comments, will they really pay as much attention to a fellow students' (peer) review?  That's a debatable subject, to be sure, but at least while the assignment is muted, all comments will be hidden until you unmute it, at which point the students will see all of the comments submitted at the same time....yours as well as their peer reviewers.  (Just my editorial $0.02 while I have your attention.  Smiley Happy  )

I hope this helps, Rebecca!

View solution in original post

Ken: Thanks so much. This is very helpful information.

Sent from my iPad--No guarantee the auto correct is correct!

kblack
Community Member

Glad I could help, Rebecca!