cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Instructor: post once for two groups in a discussion?

I've divided my course into two discussion groups, they both get the exact same initial prompt.

Is there a way that I can post once as the instructor and that shows up for all students, in both grouped discussions?

Or do I need to go into each group's discussion and do that post twice?

Thanks!

9 Replies
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Howdy chip.gagnon@cornell.edu

If you used Canvas Groups to make Group A and Group B, splitting the students between the two groups; you can make the discussion a group discussion so that you only need to post it once.

Read more about "How do I create a group discussion."

Hope this helps; let us know. Keep learning,

Sky V.

Thanks, that's what I've done.

In my view, my reply to the initial prompt shows up on the main discussion page, but then to see students' responses I need to click "Group A" or "Group B".  It isn't clear to me that all students can see my initial response to the prompt, as in my view it's not showing up in the group A or group B discussions.  Does that make sense?

Howdy chip.gagnon@cornell.edu‌,

If I am understanding you correctly from your last comment, you posted a "reply" to your own discussion forum (which is a group discussion) and you want to know if the students in Group A/B can see that reply?

Sky V.

Yes, the place where my reply is is not in A or B, at the top are the links

to A and B's discussions of that prompt, which I have to click on to see

the students replies.

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 4:59 PM svking@fiu.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, chip.gagnon@cornell.edu...

I am reviewing older questions here in the Community, and I came across your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since July 17, 2019.  I'm happy to see that svking@fiu.edu has been working with you to troubleshoot this issue. Have you been able to resolve this issue?  Or, are you still looking for some help to get it resolved?  If you feel that one of Sky's replies has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark it as "Correct".  But, if you are still looking for some help, please let us know that as well by posting a note below.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" ... mainly because we haven't seen any new activity in this topic for almost five months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Chip.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Thanks Chris. Actually no I still don't have an answer on this.... Thanks for checking in!

I am reviving this question topic as I ran exactly into this problem today. I split my classes into groups and created a group discussion. I posted on this discussion but my students cannot see my posts.

Plus one, I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the help. 

Mike

Surveyor

I just talked with a Canvas representative (actually 2; the first one ghosted me after about 40 minutes), about this using the live-chat feature.  There is apparently no way to have our posts on the main discussion thread appear in the individual group threads.  So if we want our main posts to appear in the group threads, we'll just have to copy them into each group thread separately..

Here's the relevant part of my chat transcript:

transcript.PNG