Highlighted
Community Member

Interactive slides

Jump to solution

How do I keep the interactive component of my Google Slides once I embed the slide into Canvas? How does it make a separate copy for each student so when one child drags an item, it won't change on everyone else's computer?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Good afternoon, Beth - welcome to the Canvas Community! Although I think I understand what you're talking about in your question, I see two pieces there that I want to address separately.

First-off, let's talk about embedding Google Slides so that if they have hyperlinks students can click on them. If you want those links to live there, what I have been doing is "Publishing to the web" your slide deck and then grabbing that embed code off of the slides and placing it into your Rich Content Editor. If you need further instructions on that I would be happy to provide those.

If you're talking about the intractability piece of students having their own copy and interacting with the slides that way (like they might on a platform like Google Classroom), there is an LTI tool that does just that called Google Assignments. I'll link an article to that tool here, but know that it does require a Canvas admin in your district to set-up for use.

If you have any other questions, or need me to expand on any of responses more, please let me know and I'd be happy to do so. Have a great rest of your week!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Good afternoon, Beth - welcome to the Canvas Community! Although I think I understand what you're talking about in your question, I see two pieces there that I want to address separately.

First-off, let's talk about embedding Google Slides so that if they have hyperlinks students can click on them. If you want those links to live there, what I have been doing is "Publishing to the web" your slide deck and then grabbing that embed code off of the slides and placing it into your Rich Content Editor. If you need further instructions on that I would be happy to provide those.

If you're talking about the intractability piece of students having their own copy and interacting with the slides that way (like they might on a platform like Google Classroom), there is an LTI tool that does just that called Google Assignments. I'll link an article to that tool here, but know that it does require a Canvas admin in your district to set-up for use.

If you have any other questions, or need me to expand on any of responses more, please let me know and I'd be happy to do so. Have a great rest of your week!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

Wade, how do I keep the slides from continuously moving forward when they are not supposed too? I have published to the web and I can just scroll through the slides and that's not how I want them to go.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hello, Melanie!

So I've not yet found a way to publish the slides so that you can't scroll through manually - the previous slide, next slide, and play buttons always exist on the published slide screen once the slide deck is embedded:

353898_pastedImage_1.png

The one thing that you can do is make sure when you go to publish the document you uncheck the box that says "Start slideshow as soon as the player loads"; by doing that, at least the slideshow won't scroll forward on it's own:

353899_pastedImage_2.png

You should still be able to click on the hyperlinks on the slides that will take you to different places on the slide deck...you'll just also have the option on the bottom-left to move forward in a linear fashion on the slideshow.

I hope that this clears up any questions that you had - if not, please feel free to ask those. Have a great day!

0 Kudos
Labels