cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Invalid Pairing Code Error

We are continuing to have parents report and Invalid Pairing Code when attempting to become Observers.  We've ruled out expiration times and typing errors.  I know this has been an ongoing issue.  Are there any fixes or advice since September?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

danderson@mayville.k12.wi.us, I don’t work directly with this functionality, but I’ve shared it with one of our Community experts and the K-12‌ group in the Community to help get you a response. Along with this, I’d also recommend contacting Canvas Support to see if they know what’s going on. 

Kona

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Danelle - How are Observers using their pairing code? Are they using a browser or the Canvas Parent app?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

They are trying both. A couple have been able to get in using a browser

after a few attempts. The Parent Canvas app hasn't worked at all for

becoming an Observer.

Danelle

Danelle M Anderson

7th Grade MathMayville Middle School

920-214-5925 (text message or voicemail)

*“It is not so very important for a person to learn facts. ...The value of

an education... is not the learning of many facts, but the training of the

mind to think something that cannot be learned from textbooks.”* Albert

Einstein

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 2:09 PM kristin.lundstrum@delasalle.com <

0 Kudos
Highlighted

With the Canvas Parent app, it's really important to make sure that the observer selects the same school as their student. By default, the log-in goes to canvas.instructure.com...and the pairing code would most definitely be invalid.

When using Canvas Parent, Observers can look for Mayville OR by typing mayville.instructure.com into the empty field after tapping "Find My School". (How do I log in to the Canvas Parent app?‌)

If you have ruled out the expiration time -- 7 days is a lot! -- and typing errors, I agree with Kona. A support ticket and collaboration with your in-house Canvas administrator would be a great place to start. (How do I get help with Canvas?‌)

As you hear back from Support, it would be awesome to learn from your experiences! Please update the Community so if this happens to other districts, they have a starting place in their own troubleshooting.

Highlighted

I agree with Kristin.  When helping parents solve this issue, the issue has been that their accounts are not in our instance.  Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Parents trying to join the wrong school's Canvas is our most common issue creating this error message as well. I make a point of including our Canvas URL and mentioning this as a common issue in all of the things i send out to parents about Parent Accounts. It's particularly effective when I'm sending the code out in an email since then they can just click the link to get to our specific Canvas site directly.

Perhaps this would be a useful thing for Canvas to include in the error message itself. I'm assuming that Canvas can't guess which school they meant just from the Pairing Code, but something like "You've tried to use this Pairing Code on (Name of School) in (City, State, Country)'s School-Specific Canvas Site. If this is not your student's school, you can search for their school's Canvas site here (link to wherever it is that people can do that) and try using this code on their Canvas site."

0 Kudos