cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Learner II

Is anyone using Canvas for an Online Writing Center?

If so, how did you set it up? Did you create a custom link or tab for people to find the course?  Did you create a public, self-enroll course?  Have there been any issues with running your writing center through Canvas?  For example, if students are submitting writing through assignments does that create a Grade Book that is impossible to manage?  How do you collect data about the student (Major, Undergrad or Grad, etc.)?

Thanks for any information!

Brenda Adrian

10 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

brendaa@stedwards.edu, we've been in talks with our testing/tutoring center to do something kind of like this, but for our students with accommodations. Thus we haven't worked out the bugs and are still trying to figure out the best way to do things! My recommendation is to post this question in the Canvas Admins​ and Instructional Designers​ groups and see if any one there has experience they can share.

Learner II

Having worked in a writing centre, I love this idea! I think Pages could be especially useful for grammar and style guides.

Are you considering using Discussions? Many of the students that came to my university's writing centre simply had quick questions about formatting and styles and would have appreciated a place to ask questions as they arose.

Surveyor

At my previous job we used our LMS for everything (Campus Life groups, organizations, academic governance, etc.). and that included a writing center. As others suggested we set it up with open enrollment (they had to be in our Canvas userbase in order to access). The center leveraged Google Docs Collaborations quite a bit, as well as the conferencing tool in order to facilitate sessions and one on one meetings which was a huge boost. Previously the students had to come in physically. They also made a lot of use of the Scheduler and the Calendar as well.

Community Member

We used to use ANGEL for an online writing center. Students could upload a paper and get feedback.  The former director of that area made the process so cumbersome and required the students to jump through so many hoops (pre-read material etc) that it took much longer to process a paper online than to have a student make an appointment and come in.  Because of her negative feedback, the new folks don't want to use the LMS for this function.  I'm still working on convincing them of the wonders of the speed grader and how they could use it for their feedback. 

I think they should at least be able to use it to accept the papers so that the tutors could pre-read them before sitting down with the student.

I'll keep working on them.

Community Member

I am sure that UTPB is going to have a need for Canvas writing center capabilities, given all of our online students. My Sociology program offers a 100% online degree and we could certainly use a forum for students to use online writing centers for their papers.

Surveyor

Anne Arundel Community College (Annapolis MD) uses Canvas and Blackboard Collaborate to conduct real-time tutoring sessions.  Check it out.

AACC's Writing Center - AACC Virtual Writing Center

This link did not work for me, do you have an updated link please?

Community Team
Community Team

For anyone interested in this topic, be sure to RSVP to the CanvasLIVE event Let Data Be Your Compass: Effective Use of Instructional Data which is coming up this Thursday, November 3, 2016. If you are able to attend, RSVP "Yes"--and if you're interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "No" or "Maybe" to receive any post-event updates.

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello brendaa@stedwards.edu...

It looks like you've gotten some great responses here!  I wanted to let you know that I am going to convert this Question to a Discussion.  A Question typically will have a "Correct" answer, but a Discussion is more of an open-ended conversation that occurs where there may be many possible ways to accomplish the same thing.  I hope that's alright with you.