Is it possible for public to submit?

Jump to solution
cesche
Community Novice

I am trying to make a Canvas class that anyone with a link can see and also post. Is that possible? So far I'm able to make a publicly available Canvas course, but when I click on a discussion or assignment, it makes me log in. Is there a way around this? Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@cesche  

If all the student has is a link to the course and the course is public, then no, this is not possible. People visiting without logging in are not enrolled and cannot participate in the course, they can only view it.

According to the How do I include a course in the Public Course Index?  lesson from the Canvas Instructor Guide, "students who view the course will not be able to contribute to any discussions, quizzes, or assignments unless they are enrolled."

The first half of the bullet point I quoted offers a possible solution: "If your course is enabled for self-enrollment, you can add a Join button to allow users to self-enroll at any time."

If the "link" you want to share is the self-enrollment link, then yes, you can share that and let people join. They will still have have to join the course before they can post anything. There is no provision for letting anyone in the public see your course and post without being enrolled. You do not have to make the course public for this to happen.

Note that self-enrollment is controlled by your local Canvas administrator and so it may not be enabled at your institution.

View solution in original post

0 Likes