cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Is it possible to Auto Copy Course Navigation into Course Shells?

I would like to standardize our course navigation items (at least to begin with) for each course shell that is generated at our institution. In order to do this, I will need a course shell that I have manually created (with no content and navigation settings adjusted) to auto-copy into each course shell that is generated. 

Anyone ever make this happen? 

Really hoping it's possible. 

We use Jenzabar. 

7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi kevin.wagenmaker@montcalm.edu

I don't think this is possible in the current UI, but am going to share your question with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers?sr=search&searchId=5949f3c2-3f60-4104-a962-5d7baed9...‌ group. They may have a useful hack.

Kelley

Highlighted
Surveyor II

kevin.wagenmaker@montcalm.edu‌,

We have a standard shell that we use (called our Version Orginale Template) that we have setup for all of our initial course developments.  This has a wide range of material in it, but one of the advantages, as you state, is that we can standardize our Course Navigation with it.  Thus whenever a course is created, or a shell is duped, it comes with this standard setup since it all comes from the same source. 

However, if your faculty are used to creating or managing their own shells, this may be more problematic.  At that point, you may want to setup a script that will pull all active courses for a term/day/week, and then import the content from your own Version Originale template into these sections. 

I hope this helps.

Jason Schaffer

Highlighted

Thanks, jschaffer!

Do you manually copy your standard template into all course shells or is it automated? I'm hoping there's a way to automate all of this.

Highlighted

Hi Kevin,

Unless I'm mistaken when you create a course via the API you can tell Canvas to make a copy of an existing course so I think you can automate this process.

Highlighted

Hi kevin.wagenmaker@montcalm.edu

scottd@instructure.com‌ is correct that Canvas APIs can help with automating this need. At our school, our automation uses the Content Migrations API POST to copy an entire template course, including its Settings > Course Navigation customization.  Parameters for this POST are migration_type=course_copy_importer and settings[source_course_id] which is set to the ID number of the course to be copied (the one with navigation you'd like to duplicate).

Highlighted

This is exactly how we enforce a course "template" at our school.  Our SIS integration kicks off the API call upon successful creation of the course in Canvas.  We even apply different templates for different course types from our SIS.  While this meets our need, UI customization like this as a whole could be much better across Canvas!

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello kevin.wagenmaker@montcalm.edu...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic since December 8, 2017.  Have you had an opportunity to review all of the above replies?  Was there any one reply that ultimately helped to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with your original question?  If you feel that one of the above responses has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark that person's response as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please come back to this topic to post a message below so that someone from the Community might be able to help you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for almost four months.  This won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions that are related to this topic, however.  I hope that's alright with you, Kevin.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels