cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bradhorn
Community Member

Is it possible to change size of inline preview?

Jump to solution

Howdy howdy Canvas gods and goddesses.

Is there a way to change the size of the inline preview of a file (a .pdf)? Specifically I'd like to make it taller than the ~350 pixels that seems to be the default.

Thanks a bunch and happy summer.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cristinanistor
Community Member

Hi bradhorn,

Unfortunately this is not a solution - I've been testing a bit and for me it doesn't look like it's possible to change the height of the inline preview. The width does however adapt to constraints.

By default the width constraint is the width of the middle column in Canvas where you normally find the content on a Page. 

I thought that since a Page has practically no height constraint it would work if I put it in a table and define table dimensions but that didn't work either. It would ignore the predefined height of the table and stay the same size while the width would adapt to the table. 

You might want to address this to Canvas Developers maybe someone has of a workaround. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
cristinanistor
Community Member

Hi bradhorn,

Unfortunately this is not a solution - I've been testing a bit and for me it doesn't look like it's possible to change the height of the inline preview. The width does however adapt to constraints.

By default the width constraint is the width of the middle column in Canvas where you normally find the content on a Page. 

I thought that since a Page has practically no height constraint it would work if I put it in a table and define table dimensions but that didn't work either. It would ignore the predefined height of the table and stay the same size while the width would adapt to the table. 

You might want to address this to Canvas Developers maybe someone has of a workaround. 

View solution in original post

Well thank you for trying. I’m impressed by your efforts.

——

Brad Horn | Curriculum Development

Univ. of Wisc. School of Journalism and Mass Comm.

brad.horn@wisc.edu<mailto:brad.horn@wisc.edu> | 919-357-3086

bradhorn‌, if you're so inclined, instead of using the auto-open for inline preview functionality, you could house your content in Google Docs. Doing that would give you considerable flexibility on how the document displays in the Canvas page. Check out Using Google Docs for dynamic Canvas content‌ for ideas.

Thanks, Stefanie. The irony is that the particular pdf I'm trying to embed is actually an explainer of how students can link their google accounts to Canvas.....so for this one I need to assume no Google access. But with all the rest of them that's what I plan to do. Thanks. 

bradhorn, that's the beauty part! if you set the visibility on the Google Doc to Public and publish it to grab the embed code, students will not need Google access to view it in the page.

Oh yeah? Well that's pretty nifty. Awesome. Thanks, stefaniesanders.

Hi bradhorn

I am unsure why my good friend stefaniesanders‌ didn't toot her own horn, but you can learn a lot more about embedding Google Docs in Canvas in her blog https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2015/04/23/using-google-docs-for-dynamic-canva... 

I hope this helps,

Kelley

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

bradhorn‌, a larger default size for the document previewer is now in beta