Is it possible to create nested question groups in Canvas Quizzes?

Jump to solution
kingsburybrunet
Community Explorer

I am building a quiz with a reading passage followed by comprehension questions. I would like to be able to build it with the option to show students one of several different passages, followed by a selection of questions related to that passage.

I know I could do this by building a group and linking a fixed series of questions to each passage (using "multiple dropdowns" or "fill in multiple blanks"). However, I was wondering if I could also create a group for the passages and then build a subgroup under each of them to allow a varied selection of questions for each student? Does Canvas allow that functionality? It doesn't seem to, from my attempts to build a dummy quiz that would do this, but please let me know if I'm missing something.

My attempt: I created a quiz, selected "Create Question Group", set it to choose 1 question worth 0 points, and then gave it two "Text (no question)" entries, "Passage A" and "Passage B". What I would now like to do is to create two more groups, "Passage A questions" and "Passage B questions", and link them such that if a student is given Passage A to read, then Canvas will select only Passage A questions for them to answer, etc. But I don't see a way to nest the subgroups within the first group and also link them to the appropriate passages. I could do three separate groups, but then students would see only one passage and be given questions about both ...? Ideas for setting something up that would allow me to do what I'm trying to do?

1 Solution
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@kingsburybrunet  

You can accomplish this through the use of the stimulus question type and question banks.

You would create your stimulus questions in the bank, then with the quiz select a certain number of those questions at random.  

How do I insert stimulus content in New Quizzes?  

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26425-how-do-i-add-all-items-or-a-random-set-from-an-item-b... 

View solution in original post