cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blasej2
Community Member

Is it possible to download Canvas Mail contents?

I would like to download a copy of all of my Canvas Mail messages, but I can't find any way to do this. Is there a way to do this?

6 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @blasej2  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your message.  First, I'll start by saying that there's nothing on the front end of Canvas that I'm aware of that would allow you to download/export all of your messages from the Canvas Inbox.  Second, I'm not a programmer, so this next bit of information I provide is coming directly from a Canvas Support technician who gave me permission to post his feedback here:

From Cason S.

Well, you can definitely run a GET request via the API, however this just returns them in json format. They aren't going to be in a more consumable format like CSV or TXT, and they aren't compiled into a single document. If you had some scripting know-how you might be able  to make a script to generate something like that, but there isn't a pre-built call for that

Since this question is beyond my technical "know how", I am going to share your question with the Canvas Developers‌ group here in the Community in hopes that your question will get some additional exposure.  If you are not yet following this group, please use the link that I have provided, and then click on the "Follow" button at the top right corner of the page.  You may also need to click on the "Actions" menu (also located at the top right corner of that page), and then click on the "Join group" option.

I hope this information is helpful to you, Blase!

swilson34
Community Member

Interesting that you ask that, what sort of reply did you get?

Stephanie

Hello  @swilson34 ...

I am not sure what you are asking.  Are you replying to me or to  @blasej2 ?  If you're asking me a question, I've provided the response that I received from Canvas tech support.  Again, I'm not much of a coder, so this is a bit foreign to me.  I was just passing along information I received from tech support in order to try and help Blase.

swilson34
Community Member

I was asking in general, I did get an answer to my question. Thanks!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@blasej2 ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Hi Robbie,

I'm not sure this is answered in the sense that someone who has the same question and arrives here is absolutely none the wiser. If you read the exchange, you'll also see there is no answer. The "Canvas Developers" link above now gives a 404. I started looking at the API docs but it appears that you only allow registered applications (it was far from clear but that is my best guess) that need to go via some kind of "Canvas administrator". In many, many institutions that is tantamount to being impossible, due to the rampant bureaucracy and technical incompetence of many administrators in tertiary institutions around the world.

I would have loved to have written something (I am an experienced developer) and posted it here but simply don't have the minimum necessary to do it. All we want is to export a list of messages!