Is it possible to download a media submission?

Jump to solution
lsickler
Community Novice

Students created video projects and submitted them to a Canvas assignment.  I would like to download and save some of the submissions to my computer, but can't find a way to do so.  Is this possible?

3 Solutions
rgode
Community Novice

I would like to see this as well.  I'd like to use this for Spanish AP practice audio piece.  For the real thing, we will need to download the student's audio recordings and burn them to a CD to send to the AP Board for grading.

Ricky

View solution in original post

cesbrandt
Community Champion

There is and there isn't.

When you play a media file in the SpeedGrader it is embedded in the page using a VIDEO tag without disabling download. This means that videos and audio can be downloaded by right-clicking on the player (while it's playing). On the menu, you'll have an option to "Save video as..." that will allow you to download the media file to your computer. Note: Don't let the name of the option fool you, it will allow you to save audio files as audio files, it's just the way in which it was embedded that causes the labeling.

I've only confirmed this works with MP4 (video) and MP3 (audio) uploads, but it does work in IE11, Chrome, and Firefox. For some reason, the Record Media option refuses to work on my computer in any browser. :S

If anyone could test the record media options, that'd be great. I would assume, though, that it'd have the same functionality.

If you're looking to do a bulk download, that would require use of the API to retrieve multiple submissions, then scripting to archive them together, and finally initialize the download. It's doable, but it's a bit heavy on the client browser to implement. I'd highly recommend sticking to individual downloads.

bengaynor
Community Participant

I know this is an old post, but I have found a workaround to share with future searchers. There's a Chrome extension called Chrome Audio Capture. You hit a "record" button and let the audio play, and then hit a button when the audio finishes to stop and download the recording. It's time consuming since the audio has to play all the way through, but it's not recording from the computer's mic, so you can keep working. I had one student out of 40 submit a media recording (there were other options), so if it's only a selection of student work that I want to save for posterity, it's worth my time. I was not able to right-click and save the audio despite my best efforts.