cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kkurzynski
Community Member

Is it possible to hide outcome scores from students?

Is it possible to hide outcome scores from students? For example, if we created a "time management" outcome, I wouldn't want a student to see an individual observation score. However, keeping a running tally of their scores in this outcome would help guide an advising session in the future. 

Tags (2)
5 Replies
kblack
Community Member

I do not think so,  @kkurzynski ‌.  Since the outcome is within a rubric as this previous discussion shows, there is really no way to hide a rubric from students other than by muting the assignment altogether.  While you can choose to not allow the outcome to be included within a rubric score in general courtesy of a checkbox when importing the outcome into a rubric (see the screen capture under "Import Outcome" on this page) assuming you want to record that outcome's results by clicking on the appropriate box in the rubric, a student will ALWAYS be able to see that outcome so long as the student has the ability to see the rubric--which is pretty much all of the time unless you mute the assignment.

You may want to consider adding a notes column to your Gradebook to keep a record of how a student does, since they do not have access to your notes column.  Unfortunately, however, that notes column does not export into a CSV file if you choose to download the Gradebook for later use, so you would always have to have access to that specific course, depending on how your institution treats older courses.

I hope this explanation makes some sense!  (I've worked with outcomes a bit with departments but am hardly an expert!)

awilliams
Surveyor

In looking into implementing a systematic assessment reporting system using Canvas outcomes, we ran into the same thing. We wanted to measure mastery towards an outcome without the student needing to see or potentially be concerned about that outcome. The only thing that currently works for us is to use a duplicate version of the assignment and try to hide that assignment in a locked module. It's a terrible hack. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks so much! Appreciate the feedback. 

HI Adam,

Have you made any headway on how to hide the outcomes assessment?

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kkurzynski ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie