Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
benjamin_rodrig
Learner II

Is it possible to restrict features by sub-account

Jump to solution

Hi All,

In our higher ed institution some schools are required to take attendance, while we'd like other schools to not to have the ability to take attendance at all. Is it possible to restrict such features on the sub-account level?

Thanks,

-Ben

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@benjamin_rodrig ,

Yes, there are some features that can be turned off or on based on permissions in sub-accounts.  I would recommend contacting your Canvas Customer Success Manager.  They would definitely be able to tell you what can be turned on and off.  I know that we do not use the Roll Call tool, because we have been informed that it is an all or nothing option.

Robbie

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@benjamin_rodrig ,

Yes, there are some features that can be turned off or on based on permissions in sub-accounts.  I would recommend contacting your Canvas Customer Success Manager.  They would definitely be able to tell you what can be turned on and off.  I know that we do not use the Roll Call tool, because we have been informed that it is an all or nothing option.

Robbie

View solution in original post

Thanks,  @Robbie_Grant .

I just sent her an email. Smiley Happy

Much appreciated.

-Ben

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @benjamin_rodrig 

As Robbie noted, Roll Call is an all or nothing feature and is not associated with Permissions at the account, sub-account or course level. I doubt that you will be able to turn it off for a sub-account without turning it off for the entire account, if you can turn it off at all.

I'm going to share your question with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers?sr=search&searchId=e3f3b67d-92af-4fa2-aad0-...‌ group to see if there might be a code-customization option in the background, but I seriously doubt it.

Kelley

Thanks  @kmeeusen ! That's nice of you.

IDK how popular it would wind up being either. The impetus for my question stemmed from our university administration expressing that they'd strongly prefer a school to be either fully taking attendance using the LMS or fully taking attendance outside of the LMS. This would help them to better facilitate attendance reporting. 

Some schools are already committed to utilizing attendance in the LMS, which is great. But we wouldn't want to have a school where just a handful of innovative instructors are using it, while the rest are using offline ledgers.

In the meantime, that may be a good training point that we can convey to our instructors.

Thanks again. Smiley Happy

-Ben

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Benjamin,

Attendance is an LTI tool, so it can be configured anywhere. You should be able to ask to have it configured at the subaccount level just fine; the course navigation link would display in all courses within the subaccount.

Talk to your CSM for more details.

Thanks!

Erin