cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Is it possible to scroll through a student's essay when providing video feedback?

Jump to solution

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but it is possible to scroll through a student's essay when providing video feedback? Right now, I can't...and that seems kind of ridiculous. In short, it forces me to remember everything a student has done in an essay when I provide my video feedback. Maybe not such a big deal in a two page essay...but try that with a five or ten page essay.

I've tried different browsers....Safari and Chrome...but no difference. I can't even move the video portion out of the frame of the browser (because my first impulse was to separate the screens).

Any help on this would be appreciated. I know I could create a quicktime video and upload it...but that's taking a lot longer to upload and save.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hey Chris--

Yes...creating two separate windows works! It's a bit annoying to move back and forth between them, but I have BetterSnapTool which automatically positions the windows and it works quite well. I also can't see all of my comments because I have to make the windows smaller, but again, it works well enough. I was a little worried that Canvas would have difficulty saving comments (or would log me in and out) when moving back and forth between windows, but it's been relatively smooth. 

It still would be better if Canvas allowed the instructor to scroll through the paper, but this works for now.

Thanks.

--Nils

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

nils.michals@westvalley.edu‌...

It sounds like you've tried this...but just to confirm...  Have you tried having two separate Canvas windows open side by side (if you are using a wide-screen monitor, this would work well).  You'd have one Canvas window open on the left (for example) with the student essay open, and then on the right of your screen, you'd have the same essay open but would use the video recording?  Or, have you tried downloading the student's paper to your hard drive and then opening it up in MS Word?  In this scenario, you could still have two windows open side-by-side as you were recording your video feedback.  Or, this probably wouldn't be ideal with many student papers to grade, but you could print off the paper, and then just have the one window open to record your video.  Again, not ideal because you're printing lots of stuff....and if you want to keep things electronic, I totally understand.  Looking forward to hearing from you.  Thanks Nils.

Hey Chris--

Yes...creating two separate windows works! It's a bit annoying to move back and forth between them, but I have BetterSnapTool which automatically positions the windows and it works quite well. I also can't see all of my comments because I have to make the windows smaller, but again, it works well enough. I was a little worried that Canvas would have difficulty saving comments (or would log me in and out) when moving back and forth between windows, but it's been relatively smooth. 

It still would be better if Canvas allowed the instructor to scroll through the paper, but this works for now.

Thanks.

--Nils

View solution in original post

Community Coach
Community Coach

It's not directly in Canvas, but what our faculty do is use Jing to quickly and easily create these types of video and add the link to the video in the comments.

Community Member

I just wanted to follow up with a post on this issue. I have really found navigating between two open windows annoying, especially since Adobe flash permissions have created problems (they pop up every time and often my microphone inexplicably doesn't work afterward). 

I just wanted to say that I've experimented with giving video feedback through the Canvas app on my iPhone while also having my computer open in speed-grader. Works very well. Obviously, it would be nice if Canvas would just make it so that you could scroll through a student's essay while recording video, but for now I'll take it.