cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor II

Is possible to unpublish the content after the Unit is over?

When I had a Moodle class, I could let the students finish a unit then unpublish the content so that the students would focus on the new content.  Now, in Canvas I can't unpublish my units and it says that if a student has a grade you can't unpublish?  This seems very limited and I was wondering if it is possible to unpublish the content after the Unit is over?  

Tags (3)
7 Replies
Explorer II

Hi msnodgrass@perryschools.org
Our policy is to let students have access to all content for the whole time they are with us, so even in their final year they could go back and review material they learnt in their first year. To allow them to focus on current content and stop the dashboard getting cluttered up with old courses, rather than unpublishing we set an end date for finished courses.
To do this, go into the course settings and about halfway down the page you will find boxes labelled "starts" and "ends". In the end box, enter a date in the past to show that the course is now over. Also tick the checkbox "Users can only participate in the course between these dates". This means the course will no longer appear on the students' dashboard. If they go to their "all courses" screen, the course will still be listed there but under "Past enrolments" so they are more likely to focus on the current courses that are listed at the top of that page. Students can still go into a "Past enrolments" course and view the content but they won't be able to submit quizzes, post discussions etc.

A side effect of making this change is that you as a teacher will not be able to add any more students to the course, but if the unit is over I guess you wouldn't want to enrol more students anyway.

Community Coach
Community Coach

msnodgrass@perryschools.org, greetings! Technically you could lock a module after students have completed it by setting the open date to a date in the future (there's no other "lock" functionality). Yet, even if you lock students out of the Module, if they have submitted to an assignment they will still have access to the assignment and feedback from their Grades page. 

Kona

Thank you for your response.  However, the problem isn't with the students submitting the assignments.  I want to remove the assignments from the student view after we have finished the Unit.  Apparently, this is something that can't be done in Canvas but can be done in other LMS systems.  

msnodgrass@perryschools.org, yep. 🙂

Canvas was originally developed by two graduate students who founded the company as a student-centered and student focused LMS. As part of this, the Company often errors on the side of letting students see and access more rather than less. To this end, there seems to be a guiding principle that not only do students want ongoing access to their grade feedback and information, but that this is beneficial to their learning and growth as students. [All of this is my personal perspective of Canvas as a user for the last six years. I am not a Canvas employee and I am not speaking on their behalf.]

Yet, back to your original question and need. Would you like students to no longer have these grades in the gradebook or do you want them to have the grades from these assignments in the gradebook, but just not see them on the Modules page? Do you mind them seeing the assignment directions and your feedback? I guess what I'm trying to understand is what exactly you don't want them to see/view and where do you want this to be blocked? This might help us in the Community find a work around or way to do what you are wanting to do.

Kona

Here is a detailed list of what I would like to be able to do.  I have a module called Introduction to Computer Science Essentials.  I have the students complete all modules and I grade all the modules.  I would like for the grades to stay in the grade book as they are synced to Skyward (our grade book). 

When it is time to start the next unit (Collaborating Around Computing), I would like to hide Introduction to Computer Science unit from the modules area so that the kids only see the current unit.  Thus, their grades are in the grade book, the assignments have been closed by date, now I just have the ability to unpublish (hide) so that the kids can't see it anymore.  

I could do this in Moodle, but seems like I can't do this here?  I do NOT want to delete or remove anything.  I just want to hide (unpublish) so that the kids are focused on the current information.  Does that make sense?  

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi msnodgrass@perryschools.org

If your content is loaded into Modules, you can un-publish the modules, even if students have already interacted with the graded content in the module.  This effectively makes the module and all its content unavailable to your students, yet still available to you.

Learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10114-4152180497 

One thing to note: If you are using modules to both display and hide your content, you should also hide all the unnecessary associated content areas in course navigation - Pages, Quizzes, Assignments, Discussions, etc.  In this way, you are not leaving a back door open for your students to access content you have hidden.

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

Community Coach
Community Coach

msnodgrass@perryschools.org,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie