cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Is there a delete/rollback option, after importing a course/quiz etc from Canvas Commons into my own course?

Jump to solution

Dear Canvas Help,

I imported a course and a quiz from Canvas Commons into my own course. However, after viewing the content I realised it wasn't really what I expected or wanted. I couldn't find a way to rollback/delete the imports.  I had to go in and delete each section individually but bits were scattered everywhere from files, to quizzes, assessments, pages, images etc. I know you can delete a whole 'module' at a time but this still leaves images and pages and other bits scattered around. I checked the Canvas Commons Guides but could find no option to delete/rollback the whole import and revert back to my original course. I am new to canvas and learning as I go......can you help? Is there solution?

Many thanks,

Jennifer

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi jennifer.reid@qub.ac.uk

There is currently a functionality in Canvas that can be used for this purpose - Reset Course Content. You can learn more about it here https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13069-415257102 This function will wipe your entire course cleans except for enrollments.

Keep in mind that this functionality is semi-permanent, meaning it can only be reversed through intervention by Canvas Support. Also, when you reset a course, Canvas actually archives the course, and creates a new course shell with a new Canvas course ID number, but does not mess with your school's course ID/Naming. This can have some repercussions with certain integrations such as the Panopto Lecture Capture product which stores videos in folders linked to courses based on the Canvas course ID, and will require the moving of any previously saved videos to the new course shell.

Also, some schools and systems limit faculty access to this function, because it can be dangerous (i.e. semi-permanent deletion).

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi jennifer.reid@qub.ac.uk

There is currently a functionality in Canvas that can be used for this purpose - Reset Course Content. You can learn more about it here https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13069-415257102 This function will wipe your entire course cleans except for enrollments.

Keep in mind that this functionality is semi-permanent, meaning it can only be reversed through intervention by Canvas Support. Also, when you reset a course, Canvas actually archives the course, and creates a new course shell with a new Canvas course ID number, but does not mess with your school's course ID/Naming. This can have some repercussions with certain integrations such as the Panopto Lecture Capture product which stores videos in folders linked to courses based on the Canvas course ID, and will require the moving of any previously saved videos to the new course shell.

Also, some schools and systems limit faculty access to this function, because it can be dangerous (i.e. semi-permanent deletion).

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

Community Coach
Community Coach

I thought I would add that there is a feature idea open for voting now related to undoing course imports.  If you have not already done so jennifer.reid@qub.ac.uk, you might consider voting it up.  If implemented, it would provide more options in situations like you are dealing with.

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9485-undo-course-imports 

Thank you Kelley & Eric. Its the first time I've used the community to ask a question, so thank you for getting back to me so quickly. 🙂

Surveyor

Thanks kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu‌ - very helpful!