cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
b_lapham
Community Member

Is there a list of Canvas features and the platforms that support them?

Jump to solution

I'm trying to work out which features are supported by the Canvas App and which aren't. For example, I'm having some issues with Discussion posts created in a desktop browser that use RCE features (tables, formatted text etc) that are not appearing when viewing the discussion in the App.

I'm going to report this as a problem, but I'd like to know what is supposed to work.

thanks

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ahh yes Bronwyn,

I definitely see what you mean about replies-of-replies not showing in the list. And I remember there was something about that discrepancy in looking at discussions in mobile apps.

On your second reply at 8:23 am, there's an indication of 1unread, 1 total which means that you have to click on that reply to see that there is another unread reply. So it's there, but only hinted at with the 1|1 indication.

This spot is the perfect opportunity to plug/advertise the mobile-app course coming up soon.  Mobile Series: Discourse in This Course Will Mobilize You (Fall 2016)  @rseilham  is one of the instructors of the course and can tell you more. The course is all about how to navigate in mobile apps with discussions and the course covers that topic of replies-of-replies and where to find the discussion rubric. As instructors we have to prep our users for how to interpret the information presented in the mobile app.

Take the course, Hope to see you there,
Cheers - Shar

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@bronwyn_lapham_ ​, I know right off the bat that tables are problematic in mobile apps, but for a comprehensive discussion of this, I'm looping in the Canvas Mobile Users​ group. I'll also share your question with the Instructional Designers​ group, where there has been a lot of discussion about mobile-friendly design (see, for example,  @clong ​'s outstanding Home Sweet Homepages without Tables​ resource). If you're not yet a member of these groups, it only takes a few clicks to join (navigate to the group home page, click the dropdown in Actions at the upper right, select Join Group).

Shar
Navigator II

Hi  @bronwyn_lapham_ ​,

Can you provide some screenshots of what you see is missing- desktop vs mobile app? Which mobile app are you using- iOS or Android?

In general, I have not had any problems with design elements from desktop showing up in the mobile Android app even though discussions have a different/smaller width.

DiscussionwTable.pngDiscwTable-Android.png

The desktop table is showing up wide because it's using class="ic-Table" and the Canvas CSS is not applied in mobile.

Let us know more please,
Cheers - Shar

b_lapham
Community Member

Thanks Shar. I've replicated my problem. I had assumed that the issue was related to rich text, but that was wrong.

Replies to the original discussion appear in the iPad and iPhone apps, but replies to replies don't (if that makes sense). Smiley Wink

First image is a screen shot from the iPad - note the last two posts from me (Bronwyn).

Fipad-discussion.PNG

This second shot (below) shows the desktop version. Note the last three posts - there is an additional post. desktop-discussion.png

Ahh yes Bronwyn,

I definitely see what you mean about replies-of-replies not showing in the list. And I remember there was something about that discrepancy in looking at discussions in mobile apps.

On your second reply at 8:23 am, there's an indication of 1unread, 1 total which means that you have to click on that reply to see that there is another unread reply. So it's there, but only hinted at with the 1|1 indication.

This spot is the perfect opportunity to plug/advertise the mobile-app course coming up soon.  Mobile Series: Discourse in This Course Will Mobilize You (Fall 2016)  @rseilham  is one of the instructors of the course and can tell you more. The course is all about how to navigate in mobile apps with discussions and the course covers that topic of replies-of-replies and where to find the discussion rubric. As instructors we have to prep our users for how to interpret the information presented in the mobile app.

Take the course, Hope to see you there,
Cheers - Shar

View solution in original post

And NOW I notice the additional interface "Number of replies". Ignore me - I'll go away now! :smileyblush:

replies.png

Thanks Ryan!