cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Learner II

Is there a script that will allow me to have a small thumbnail or image icon that can be clicked (or tapped on mobile device) that will open an animated gif?

Jump to solution

Some background: We have a "Get Started" page block for students with written info on 'how to set up notifications', 'how to set up text messaging', etc.. but reading this is nothing compared to seeing it happen, which is why we created very quick (10-15 second) animated gifs showing them the ...ones, two, three's of visually navigating these helpful tips. As suggested it needs to work on desktop and mobile devices.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Learner II

We ended up making animated gifs in Camtasia, add them as Images to the course and put them in individual pages that were linked to open in new windows -- works good Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but I'm going to share it with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers?sr=search&searchId=52e8a594-91d7-4080-acc8-42fc6460...‌ and https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/cmug?sr=search&searchId=c9a8cc6e-aea0-491c-a100-f7f025ddcf1c&...‌ groups in the Community to see if they can help!

Community Coach
Community Coach

Small animated gifs would work fine on the mobile app and the web. Although, the file size could start to become an issue, especially on mobile. Depending on the size of the file, you might be better off uploading a video directly into a Canvas Page. It will work on both web and mobile devices as well: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10391 

We were thinking a short small animated gif of 1-3 steps (10-15 seconds each) would be almost instantaneous in delivering the "Ohh yeah, that's simple I know what to do now" moment for the user.

Community Team
Community Team

cmccann@fsu.edu‌, where are you envisioning placing these animated gifs? If you want them to appear in a page, or anywhere else where the RCE is available, you can use a cool, but unfortunately-named, little screen capture program called LICECap (and hardly a day goes by that I don't silently thank kenneth.larsen@usu.edu‌ for calling it to my attention!). It's ideal for very short animations. After you create the screen capture, you would upload the finished product as an image into your page. It plays automatically--i.e., the user wouldn't click on it--and if I recall correctly it works well on a mobile browser. I haven't tested it in the app. It's both basic and streamlined, and no script is required.

(I provided the download link for a Mac, but a Windows version is available as well. I've used the program on both operating systems, and it works equally well on both.)

Hey,

On a "Get Started" page -- LICEcap sounds like the thing I need; instantaneous play, 1, 2 , 3 quick visual steps, if it looped three times and then disappeared or if desktop and mobile users could click it to make it go away -- perfecto.

BTW: I  tried doing this using MP4's uploaded though Canvas Kaltura and the video would show in Desktop canvas but NOT in mobile app Canvas... I need to push a separate ticket on this.

Thank you!

Oh I have Camtasia to make the animated gifs let me see if I can save a sample on my course site and see how it goes.

cmccann@fsu.edu‌, yes, you can adjust the settings in LICECap for how many times you want it to loop before it stops playing.

Learner II

This is very handy.  Thanks stefaniesanders for the tip.

Learner II

We ended up making animated gifs in Camtasia, add them as Images to the course and put them in individual pages that were linked to open in new windows -- works good Smiley Happy

View solution in original post