cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
__invited__nikk
Surveyor

Is there a way for html files not to double scroll in canvas without being turned into pages?

Hello. My institution works on files offline and then uploads them into the LMS. We are currently using D2L and it is very easy to upload files and attach them to a topic. They display very well. However, in Canvas we get a double scroll issue on our uploaded html files. Its an annoyance really, but its something we would like to correct if possible.

If we copy the html into a content page, it displays fine. It is only when we try to upload it as a file.

We are trying to avoid copying and pasting html into pages because of maintenance concerns.

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello nikkimacapple​...

I am a bit curious what kinds of maintenance concerns you have about using the RCE inside of Canvas to create your pages rather than creating your pages "offline" in HTML files.  Is there code in your HTML pages that won't display properly in Canvas pages?  One of the nice things about using the RCE of Canvas is that you can see a complete history of a Canvas course page from the day it was created to it's current state: How do I view the history of a page in my course?.  Any additional info might be helpful for us here in the Community so you can get some ideas of what might be the best way to design your pages.  Thanks Nikki.

The code inside of the pages displays well, but copying and pasting our offline content into Canvas pages could be a hindrance to us because we have many courses that use the same Getting Started section. Every time a change is made, or every iteration, we would have to go into every Getting Started page in every course and copy and paste in the correct code.

The process we are hoping to achieve is that we batch upload the files, put them in modules, and have them look like they are not in an iframe with double scrolling. That way we can batch update/upload all of our files and they would look nice.

nikkimacapple​, I suspect you'll get numerous suggestions as to how to accomplish this, and no one answer will necessarily stand out as uniquely "correct," so I'm going to flip the format here over to a discussion.

Have you considered putting the code in a Google Doc and embedding the doc in the Canvas page? That way you'd only have to update the Google Doc once and it will automatically populate all of the courses--no batch uploads necessary, ever. For additional guidance, please refer to Using Google Docs for dynamic Canvas content​ and to the awesome resources in the Instructional Designers​ group in general.

I'm curious as to other suggestions folks may have. I prefer to create my content (html pages) off-line for several reasons:

1) Canvas' page editor has no autosave feature (in fact, I can't even save and continue editing - I save then have to reenter the edit mode)

2) Interacting with web-based content creation tools is much slower than working on my desktop - not to mention I can continue to work if/when connectivity is sketchy.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi nikkimacapple​...

I think Stefanie has a great suggestion for you about using Google Docs.  One idea that I had thought of earlier today was to create another Canvas course shell and then make sure this option is selected in the course "Settings":

Make this course publicly visible (student data will remain private)

You wouldn't have to enroll anyone in this course, and you could set up the course navigation buttons just the way you wanted them.  Then, you could create any number of pages in this course and then provide a link to said page in your actual course.  Like Stefanie's suggestion, you would only need to update the content one place.

Hope this helps, Nikki.