Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Is there a way to adjust the default criterion ratings in Canvas

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I am looking for a way to adjust the default criterion ratings in Canvas. I am adding all the new Australian Science & Technology Outcomes into our system and I need each one to have a 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, n/a  rating. It seems crazy that a user would have to repeat the steps to add the criteria ratings every time.

Here's hoping someone out there can steer me in a better direction!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, Deactivated user​...

Unfortunately, there isn't a great way to copy/paste each row of ratings into the next row.  At this point, it's all a manual process.  However, I have created a couple Feature Ideas that I think you might be interested in:

(this one could use more votes!!!)

(this one has moved on to Stage 3)

Sorry that I don't have better news for you at this time.  Hopefully that first idea I've linked will get 30+ votes!!!

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, Deactivated user​...

Unfortunately, there isn't a great way to copy/paste each row of ratings into the next row.  At this point, it's all a manual process.  However, I have created a couple Feature Ideas that I think you might be interested in:

(this one could use more votes!!!)

(this one has moved on to Stage 3)

Sorry that I don't have better news for you at this time.  Hopefully that first idea I've linked will get 30+ votes!!!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I just added my positive vote to your first idea.  I spent a good deal of time trying to figure out how to copy rows as well.  My rubrics also have many line items and it is going to take a very long time to input them to Canvas. To streamline the process a bit, I created all the rows I needed first and then worked by column using copied and paste (i.e., I copied my 5 and then went down the column pasting it each time).  Not optimal, but I couldn't figure out any other solution.

Highlighted

That's pretty much what I do when building rubrics for our instructors, too, lstorch@allen-stevenson.org​.

Highlighted
Community Member

Does anyone know if this has changed?  It seems silly to me that everytime I need to enter a new outcome I need to change the Criterion ratings to what my school uses.  I would like to permanently change the Criterion ratings.

Highlighted

I agree with Jody. It's been two years since the original post, and it sure seems like one should be able to set new default criterion ratings. I'm new to Canvas, and hoping to get all my Learning Outcomes in place before school starts.

Highlighted

It has now been FIVE years since the original post, and I still don't see a fix for this?  Has anyone figured out how to make new default criteria for outcomes?  This seems like an unnecessary waste of time--that was brought to the attention of the developers five years ago.

Highlighted
Navigator

I've written a user script that allows you to create your rubric in a spreadsheet and then copy/paste it into Canvas. That is the fastest way that I know of to get an existing rubric into Canvas.  Documentation, videos, and the script are available at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8844-importing-rubrics-from-a-spreadsheet?sr=search&searchI...

Highlighted

Hi James,

I saw your spreadsheet link elsewhere, and it seems very valuable. But what we are looking for here is a way to have one consistent criterion ranking that can be applied to all Learning Outcomes. Currently, one has to go through a lot of steps on EACH Learning Outcome in order to have the same.

Lee

Highlighted

You're right, my script won't help with creating learning outcomes (it may make it easier to add them to rubrics). I apologize for missing that aspect of the original question.

I have seen scripts written that deal with importing learning outcomes. I haven't tried any of those, but a quick Google search popped up unsupported-canvas/api/import_outcomes/python at master · kajigga/unsupported-canvas · GitHub  which looks like the one I found earlier.

The answer to the original question is the same as what it was two years ago.