Is there a way to allow students to upload multiple files through the same file explorer?

Jump to solution
lpheaney
Community Explorer

Currently, students have to "Add Another File" for every individual file they plan on uploading for an assignment. This can become tedious when the assignment requires a large number of files to be submitted. Is there any way to allow students to select all of their files at once using the "Choose File" button? 

339670_pastedImage_1.png

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi lpheaney Welcome to the Canvas Community. I see you joined us in November but this appears to be your first question here, and it's a good one. In fact, it's so good that it is indeed something in the works....though I do not know when it will be introduced or available.  It's currently available as a feature option in Beta as outlined here, where you can read all about it:  Canvas Release: Student Assignment Enhancements .  At this point, again, it is only available on the Beta servers and even then it may not have been enabled by your Canvas administrator.  (And even if it were, the only way an instructor could test it would be in Student View. But if you're interested, instructors can access their Beta installation by following these instructions:  How do I access the Canvas beta environment as an instructor? ) 

I happen to be an administrator and decided to try it out for the first time on our Beta installation, and I can verify that indeed a student will be able to click-and-drag multiple assignments into the submission box either one-by-one or by selecting multiple files at a time.  I have not done much other testing at the moment, but it will definitely be a big change in the workflow of assignment submissions, to say the least, as the look and fell of it is entirely different from what it is now.  (Hence why it is only on Beta at the moment!)  

So basically...stay tuned and keep following this community and that link above regarding news on this possibility!

Edit - I realize I didn't directly answer your "Is there a way to...." question.  Unfortunately, the answer is "no," but it's coming! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post