cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashley_smith
Community Member

Is there a way to create a quiz on Canvas with audio so that our struggling and ELL readers can listen to the questions and answer choices?

Is there a way to create a quiz on Canvas with audio so that our struggling and ELL readers can listen to the questions and answer choices? #audiooption

2 Replies
michael-espey
Surveyor II

Hello,

This is absolutely an option, and with a bit more work on the instructor/instructional designer's part many of the quiz elements could have an audio component. Some quiz elements are editable with the Rich Content Editor, so if you can see the little "pencil" item next to an element you can add media to it; I believe it is the Description, the Question, the Multiple Choice and Multiple Answer elements as it stands. If I remember correctly they show up as a "Play Button" type thing then it expands out to the media player.

All of that being said, I am not sure how well this would play with something like Proctorio/Lock Down Browser, so that is something to keep in mind.

I would test it but I don't have my sample media files on this workstation. Here (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12981-415265825 ) is a good resource for this.

Hopefully this helps. Let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

-Michael

tom_gibbons
Adventurer

Absolutely what  @michael-espey ‌ said. 

BUT, you could also use a browser extension, like SpeakIt for Chrome, which is surprisingly good. And free. And usable all over the web. 

Or a speech-to-text feature on mobile devices.

They aren't perfect, but pronunciation and inflection are about 95% there. I just ran SpeakIt through a quiz I have on Greek tragedy. It was able to correctly pronounce play titles and proper names of Greek characters. It even got catharsis right.