Highlighted
Community Member

Is there a way to create a sign-up sheet?

Jump to solution

I need students to be able to sign up for one of two field trips. It needs to allow students to sign up only once and limit the number of students who can sign up for each date. Is there a way to create such a sign-up sheet? I could do this with a doodle poll, but Canvas flags the poll as an insecure site that most Canvas users won't be able to access. I could do this with a Google form, but then people have to open a Google account to sign up. Is there a way to do this simply in Canvas?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Surveyor

One easy way to do this in Canvas is to use the scheduler in the Calender - When would I use the Scheduler?

Using the scheduler you'll be able to specify the total number of students that can sign-up for each field trip with no duplicates - How do I create an appointment group in the Scheduler?

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

17 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

One easy way to do this in Canvas is to use the scheduler in the Calender - When would I use the Scheduler?

Using the scheduler you'll be able to specify the total number of students that can sign-up for each field trip with no duplicates - How do I create an appointment group in the Scheduler?

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks!

---

Marsha Weisiger

Julie and Rocky Dixon Chair of U.S. Western History

Associate Professor of History and Environmental Studies

University of Oregon

On 2015/05/25 18:31, kona wrote:

CANVAS COMMUNITY

IS THERE A WAY TO CREATE A SIGN-UP SHEET?

reply from Kona Jones in Find Answers - View the full discussion

Highlighted
Community Member

Is there a way for students to access scheduler from the Canvas app?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

I'm not sure if students can see this from the app or not. Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu​, do you know if the Schedule is available in the Canvas app?

Highlighted
Community Member

applem@newtrier.k12.il.us​ and kona@richland.edu

Students cannot see the form or signup for times using the mobile app. The student won't even know the times/dates exist in the calendar or syllabus tool until they reserve a spot. The instructor will see all time slots on the syllabus and schedule (Android only), but won't know who or if a spot is reserved.

Highlighted
Learner II

Students with the Android app will see their previously scheduled appointments in the Calendar and on a course's Syllabus.  However, there's no Scheduler view in the Android Calendar (nor on the iOS calendar).

As of this writing, the only place where anything-related Scheduler appears on the iPad is on the Syllabus page.  I have not had an opportunity to test iPhone yet.

In conclusion, students can't sign up via Canvas apps for Scheduler as yet.  It works to sign up via Mobile Safari, but the apps won't send you there or show an embedded browser window for Scheduler.

Highlighted
Learner II

Mary Ann:

As you have heard, the Canvas Scheduler is problematic for mobile users.

Another option might be to create and upload a GoogleForm. You can set the parameters for single sign-up in Google during creation, and Google provides a great spreadsheet of the schedule for your use. You can even post the spread sheet in the classroom so that students can view it. Googleforms update in real-time when posted to a website such as your Canvas classroom.

You can find out how to do this here: Create a survey using Google Forms - Docs editors Help

I hope this helps.

Highlighted
Navigator

Hi weisiger​...

I just wanted to briefly discuss your option of using a Google form.  That option actually *could* work for you (not sure on limiting the number of people, though).  You can set up a Google form so that people do not have to have a Google account.  They can simply click on a link to the form (as long as you provide a link for them to click on), and they can fill out the form without an account.  I do this all the time for different things at my Technical College (and I've seen where other areas of my College use it for sign-ups, etc.)  I *think* you could limit it by e-mail address (if they filled in an e-mail address field) if memory serves.  You'd have to play around with the form options to see what is available.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks!

---

Marsha Weisiger

Julie and Rocky Dixon Chair of U.S. Western History

Associate Professor of History and Environmental Studies

University of Oregon

On 2015/05/25 18:44, chofer wrote:

CANVAS COMMUNITY

IS THERE A WAY TO CREATE A SIGN-UP SHEET?

reply from Chris Hofer in Find Answers - View the full discussion