cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kwerosh
Community Member

Is there a way to lock a rubric from being changed by the instructor?

Courses in Canvas are created centrally then offered to faculty to teach. The embedded rubrics are a part of the development of the course so when provided to faculty, we don't want them to change the rubrics-- just use them for grading. We haven't found a way to prevent changes to rubrics by faculty. Ideally, we'd only want the instructional designers to have the ability to create and change rubrics in classes. Am I missing something?

5 Replies
mzimmerman
Adventurer III

Hi Keith,

If you are looking at setting up classes where you want some things to be shared out to several instances of a particular class, and you don't want instructors to be able to change those things, you might consider using Blueprint courses https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11513-canvas-release-blueprint-courses 

These allow you to create "template" courses where parts of the course can be copied to all linked instances of that course, and these can be locked so that the instructor cannot modify them.  Then, you could give instructional designers control over the Blueprint courses.

Mike

Appreciate the helpful reply, Mike.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @kwerosh  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  Another option for you might be to use permissions at the account level.  I'm not sure if you are a Canvas administrator at your school or not (if not, you'd need to talk to the person who is), but there is a permission called "Rubrics - add / edit / delete" where you could potentially turn this ability off for all instructors at your school.  (Note, this particular permission's description also says, "If this permission is disabled, users can still create or add rubrics to assignments if Assignments and Quizzes - add / edit / delete is enabled.")  You can learn more about the Permissions page here: How do I set permissions for a course-level role in an account?

I hope this will help, Keith.  Please let members of the Community know if you have additional questions about this.

kwerosh
Community Member

It does help, Chris. Many thanks!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening,  @kwerosh ...

I've been reviewing older questions here in the Community, and I thought I'd check in with you one more time.  It looks like you were satisfied with the responses you received from me and  @mzimmerman .  Do you feel that there is one response that could be marked "Correct"?  If so, please feel free to click the "Mark Correct" button next to my response or Mike's response.  But, if you are still looking for some help from Community members, please come back to this topic to post a note below letting us know how we might be able to help.  For the time being, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been much activity in this topic since March 21, 2019.  (You can leave it as "Assumed Answered" if you feel both of our answers have helped to answer your question, too.)  This won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Keith.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.