cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Is there a way to see usage of the Discussion Tool in Teachers' courses?

Is there a way to create a report in the Admin settings regarding the use of the Discussions tool in Canvas?  I am new to this school, new to Canvas, and new to being an admin.  My other option would be to create a short Google Form and ask the teachers about their Discussion tool usage.  Thanks.

7 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

Hi rpsimon

As far as I know, there is no report function for this.

Seems like a well designed poll would be a much better bet, anyways.  There are so many ways in which discussion can be used, and as many levels of use as there are users. The quatitative results of a standard report would not capture the qualitative nuances.

I have some idea, too many actually, but can I ask why you are looking for this data?

Kelley

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

Because I am new to my school and job, I was wondering if I could see the usage without having to ask the teachers.  So it seems like creating the Google Form is the best option at this point.  I don't want to overwhelm teachers, so I want it to be very short and simple.  Here are the questions that I am thinking of asking in a Google Form.  I am curious to learn your opinion:

1) Have you ever used the Discussion Tool in Canvas?

(Multiple Choice)

2) Did you find it to be beneficial?  For instance, did you see that students who are generally not active participants in class did become more engaged?

MC

3) Do you see yourself using the Discussion Tool in the near future?  Why or why not?

kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu‌ I want this to be something positive, so any advice you have will be greatly appreciated.

Highlighted
Learner II

Hi again, rpsimon

I would also consider a frequency question: daily, weekly, once a term kind of thing. Is it a graded discussion, and how they are using it?

I would want to know if they are using it for meaningful interaction, as an assessment tool, as a community-building tool, to document short research etc.

Finally, I would want to know if they participate in the discussions and at what level.

I hope this is helpful, and I suspect others will chime in. Discussions can be a very powerful teaching and learning tools, so folks have opinions.

Kelley

Highlighted
Surveyor

kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu‌  I'd like to post my questions here for you to proof if that's ok with you.

Highlighted
Learner II

Yes, rpsimon , that is okay, but keep in mind that at least 500,000 other Community members will see your post and may also have comments - likely very valuable comments.

I might get one of the Community Managers to change your question to a discussion, since it has turned open-ended.

Kelley

Kelley

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

Good point!  I think I'll just keep it as it is.  I really don't want the teachers to spend more than five minutes on it. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Surveyor

This is so helpful!  Thank you so much!  

0 Kudos