cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cnaylor
Surveyor

Is there a way to sort or filter users by type, i.e. teacher, student, observer?

Jump to solution

Is there a way to sort or filter users by type, i.e. teacher, student, observer? I tried just searching in the user section by observer but that did not work. We are trying to see how many of our kids have a parent observer so we can reach out to non-observers and get them online.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@cnaylor  are you familiar with the API?

It seems that you could use the Provisioning report to identify which users are "Observers", then call the API for each observer to list who they are observing.  Talke a look at the API documentation here:

I did a post on API testing with Postman that might help you get started if you have not used the API before:

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@cnaylor ​, users in Canvas do not have "types"--or roles--associated with them. A user in Canvas can be a teacher in one course and a student in another; the role of the user depends on how that user was assigned to a particular course, account, or sub-account (in the case of account admins and sub-account admins).

You might be able to run a report that tells you who is attached to courses or students as observers, so I'm sharing your question with the Canvas Admins​ and Canvas Developers​ groups; the folks there might have answers for you.

garth
Surveyor II

@cnaylor ​ one way to do this would be to leverage the Provisioning report.

Configure the Provisioning report for both Users and Enrollments, this will produce two csv files.

• The "Users" report lists all users who exist in your Canvas environment.
  • The "Enrollments" report lists every course the users are enrolled in, and what role thay have in each class, i.e. teacher, student, observer,etc.

You could easily load these csv files into a database to slice and dice the data any way you want.

Or, if you are an Excel aficionado, you could create some macros to do this for you.

I'm curious to know what direction you go in, please post back.

The provisioning reports is headed in the right direction, but I would like to see who the observers are observing, or which students have parents observing them, so we can reach out to parents who are not on Canvas yet. Anyway to create that type of report?

@cnaylor  are you familiar with the API?

It seems that you could use the Provisioning report to identify which users are "Observers", then call the API for each observer to list who they are observing.  Talke a look at the API documentation here:

I did a post on API testing with Postman that might help you get started if you have not used the API before:

View solution in original post

That is a little bit more than I have time to do given my job at the school. Smiley Wink

I have suggested linking the observer to the observee as a feature request.