cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Is there a way to use the Apple Pencil on my ipad, in Speedgrader, to mark on my students' scanned images/pdf worksheets?

Jump to solution

When I tried doing this in the Teacher app on my iPad, the speed grader different function icons are not present.  I tried opening up the speed grader in google on my iPad and it has all the functions present.  The issue here is when I try circling on the image (their worksheet), and try handwriting a character the whole image moves which makes it almost impossible to use the Apple pencil to grade. I hope this makes sense? Am I missing something here to where it is possible to use the Apple pencil to mark on my students work??  If so, please help.  This is one of the main reasons why I have an iPad.  Trying to draw Japanese characters using a mouse on speed grader (on my computer) is a bit difficult and cumbersome.  If there's a way to use my Apple pencil on my iPad to draw characters for my students in speed grader, that would be great.  

I have also tried screenshooting the image, and drawing on the image to send back to my students BUT the issue with that is I can't attach a file or image to their comments, so that doesn't work either.  

Any suggestions? >.< . 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi dianna.hall@ncpublicschools.gov‌, 

Is it possible you are trying to annotate on an image file (png, jpeg, etc)? Even though image annotations are supported through the web, they aren't currently supported in the Teacher app. The Teacher app only supports annotations on PDF and Word Docs. I would suggest you require your students to turn in all assignments using these two formats so you can annotate in the Teacher app. Hope this helps. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Is it possible you are trying to annotate on an image file (png, jpeg, etc)? Even though image annotations are supported through the web, they aren't currently supported in the Teacher app. The Teacher app only supports annotations on PDF and Word Docs. I would suggest you require your students to turn in all assignments using these two formats so you can annotate in the Teacher app. Hope this helps. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

dianna.hall@ncpublicschools.gov‌,

Annotating on images is now available in Canvas Teacher 1.7 for iOS. I have not seen an update for Android yet. 

293612_IMG_31041933DA18-1.jpeg

Highlighted

Thank you! Now I just have to update my Canvas Teacher app to see if it works on my ipad and iphone.   Thank you. :smileygrin:

Highlighted

Good luck and let us know if this works for you! 

Highlighted

Ok, so the annotating does work with images now, BUT when I rotate the image from landscape to portrait on the computer, then try to use my apple pencil on my iPad to do corrections on the jpeg that I rotated on the computer, it saves weird.  So on my iPad the image is rotated the way the computer rotated it, and when I use my apple pencil it works.  The problem is, is when saved on my ipad and checked on my computer to see how it saves, it saves the apple pencil (annotate) marks sideways and the image on the screen is still flipped.  Therefore the markings does not match and save correctly.  With this, I will have to keep the images landscape.  Is there a way to have the image and annotating items on the iPad saved the same exact way on the website on the computer? 

*If this makes sense?  >.<

Highlighted

Image of the error

Here's a screenshot of what what I mean.  Both the jpeg image on the computer and on my ipad are both in portrait mode no problem.  I did my grading on the ipad and it was fine.  The grading was on the jpeg in portrait mode like you see in the image above.  When you go to the computer to check it out, the noting that I did on my ipad ends up in landscape mode, and doesn't match the jpeg image.  For now, the way to not have this error is to not rotate the image and it should be fine. >.< . 

Highlighted

I got word that the issue is known by the Canvas mobile team and a fix should be out in the next release. Things can change, of course, but be on the look out during the next update. 

Highlighted

Ok thank you so much Mr. Seilhamer!!  I appreciate your help and notifying me about this. 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Sorry for the delay in a reply on this. I'll have to dig around to see if this is a widespread issue or particular to your situation. In the meantime, I suggest you report this issue to your local tech support so they can create a ticket with Canvas support and investigate your specific issue.