cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adam_hock
Community Member

Is there a way to use the same list of answer choices for a multiple dropdown quiz?

Jump to solution

I want to use a multiple dropdown quiz.  I like this option because it eliminates spelling errors that can occur in fill in the blank questions.  I am wondering if there is a way to use the possible answers from one reference word with another reference word?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

The only way to do this (that I'm aware of) is to duplicate the question (which would include the answer options) and then go in and edit it to differentiate between questions. The best way I know of to duplicate questions is to create the question in your Question Bank and then go to the quiz and add the question to your quiz. And then add it again. And again, as many times as are needed. You'll get a warning that the question has already been used for a quiz, but you can still keep adding it and then tweaking it as needed. I've personally done this and it works just fine!

View solution in original post

olliviea
Surveyor

Yes, there is an easy way to do this ! I just wasted hours writing the same list of words over and over in the past few months and just found out that the "matching" option/question type will do just that for you !

0 Kudos
10 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @adam_hock ​...

I am sorry to see that your question has been sitting here unanswered since September 21st.  You may have stumped members of the Canvas Community.  Have you been able to find a solution to the question you asked in September?  If so, could you come back here to post it for others to read?  If you are still looking for help with this, could you please maybe give an example of what you are trying to accomplish?  Giving some more detail may help in finding a solution.  Thanks Adam!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

The only way to do this (that I'm aware of) is to duplicate the question (which would include the answer options) and then go in and edit it to differentiate between questions. The best way I know of to duplicate questions is to create the question in your Question Bank and then go to the quiz and add the question to your quiz. And then add it again. And again, as many times as are needed. You'll get a warning that the question has already been used for a quiz, but you can still keep adding it and then tweaking it as needed. I've personally done this and it works just fine!

mmcinerney
Surveyor

Hi everyone,

I have the same question.

Our Spanish teachers like to include a paragraph where students have to choose the correct forms of Ser or Estar (about 10 different options). They use multiple drop downs because it allows a fluid read of the paragraph and eliminates any spelling errors.

However, it is very tedious to type out all the possible answers for each question/drop down.

For example:

?Como [estas]? [Estoy] bien. 

For both of those drop downs they would have to enter the same 10 possible answers. Is there a way to copy the possible answers for both drop downs?

Thanks!

@mmcinerney , similar to my previous response, the only way to do this would be to create the question and options in the question bank of the course. Then go into the quiz and copy the question into the quiz as many times as needed. The teacher would then go in and adjust the actual question text, but the answer options would already be there.

Hi Kona. I may be a little confused. We are not trying to copy the question rather the possible answers for each drop down. We need one question but we need the same possible answers for 5 of the different drop downs. We want to keep the 5 different drop downs in the same question because of the fluid read of the paragraph. Does that make sense? There doesn't appear to be any way to do that.

Ah, sorry! I misunderstood your initial post and you are correct, there is no way to do this. Sorry!!

garichard
Learner II

I have the same question. Does anyone know if there is a Canvas Idea/proposal to "Vote Up" to add this feature in Canvas?

astone2
Surveyor

I am also looking for this feature, as  @kona  mentions I could copy the question but if I want to do multiple dropdowns in one question I have to retype all the options which is annoying. For example, I want to create a question where students need to put in order of blood flow the structures of the heart for each dropdown [1][2][3] I have to enter the same 7 choices which seems unnecessarily time consuming, this seems like it should be a quick fix to autofill after I enter all of the possibilities I listed for blank #1.

janderson24
Surveyor

Also looking for a quick way to do this. I have a "word bank" of ten words for students to choose from. I am entering them as options for the multiple drop down. I have to type the ten options ten times each. It would be so nice to be able to copy the answer options without having to re-type.