cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chris_lalande
Not applicable

Is there an audit log for enrollments?

It would be great to find out whether there is an enrollment log API call or functionality in the UI that would allow us to see the history of a user’s enrollments:

For example, Instructor Teacher McGee:

• Was enrolled in the LEC001 section by the SIS Import process on 8/11/16
  • Enrolled himself in DISC302 8/26/16
  • Enrolled himself in DISC301 8/26/16
  • Unenrolled himself form LEC001 8/26/16
  • Was re-renrolled in LEC001 manually by a Canvas admin on 8/27/16

Etc.

There is a Course Audit Log in the REST API:  https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/course_audit_log.html#CourseEvent

But this appears only to show when the course was created, activated, etc.    I cannot find anything similar for enrollments. 

The enrollment API call gives you data on the latest update to the enrollment, but not any history

https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/enrollments.html#method.enrollments_api.index

I believe this data is being tracked, because our customer service rep has been able to tell us on a previous issue that the instructor un-enrolled himself.   Is this data accessible anywhere?

Tags (1)
6 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@chris_lalande ​,

First, I would like to apologize for not responding to your question in a timely manner.

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie

patrickconlan
Not applicable

@chris_lalande ‌,

I too am curious about access to the user enrollment history via the API but haven't found any other posts about it in the community. Do you or anyone else have information that you can share on the matter? 

Patrick

elarin
Community Participant

I also started looking for an answer to this question today since we are new to Canvas. I haven't found anything yet. 

Erick

elarin
Community Participant

Here's the response I received from Canvas about this:

Unfortunately, there isn't a feature/report you can run in Canvas to identify who enrolled/un-enrolled a user. The best course of action to figure out who made these changes is to reach out to our Canvas Support team. However, I would recommend checking in with our support team sooner than later, as there is a 3 week window that they have access to our logs to check who made these changes.

spaminabox
Community Participant

I have had instances of students taking a course, I know the quiz was completed, but later they disappear. I think it may be a case of a student unenrolling. This is quite problematic, given that my courses are not academic courses, but compliance courses. If I have no record that someone took the class, it essentially didn't happen. Then we look like we don't know what is going on, because the student knows he or she took the course, but we do not have record of it. I looked in the Access report, the gradebook, the quiz itself and can find no record.

Also, I create the course, then my colleagues have to complete it. Afterwards, some request to be made teachers. Their data disappears sometimes, but not all the time. Again, a nightmare for my particular use of Canvas.

I would like to know:

1.    what unenrolling when done by a student is meant to do with respect to a completed course

2.    why making someone a teacher sometimes but not always deletes their student history from Canvas

gillispiel1
Community Member

I've recently run into a need for the same functionality.  I have adults in a class and am wondering if some have "accidentally" dropped.  They received a course message that I sent via the course messaging system, but between the sending of the message and now are no longer on the roster.