cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor

Is there an easy way to set up some kind of group feedback?

Jump to solution

So we have a group project with 18 groups of 4 and 2 groups of 5. We would like to have each student in the group review others to perhaps give extra points to those who contributed more. We currently do this on paper.

Is there an easy way to do this in Canvas and have Canvas average the score of each students? We just want to have everyone in the group grade everyone else on either a 1-5 or 1-10 scale. I looked into making an ungraded survey for it, but it seems like we need to make 20 differentiated surveys, 1 for each group. As well as instruct students to not respond to their own entry.

Maybe there is an easier way but I don't think ungraded survey is easier than doing it on paper.

Thanks in advance for the help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Member

Hello hfchen​,

This is a tricky one. I can't think of a streamlined and easy way of doing this within Canvas. Are you a Google user by chance? I would probably handle this using a Google Form. The form would include a question for the name of the student being evaluated, and a question for their score out of five or ten, whichever you decide. You could sort the results by their answers to the first question, then have Sheets calculate the average grade for you.

Back in Canvas, you can either use the results of their peer review to influence their overall group grade - perhaps as a line item on the project rubric, or create a separate assignment with no submission and use their average score as their grade on the separate assignment.

Peer review of group participation would be an interesting feature request. I'd be curious to see the number of votes it would garner.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Community Member

Hello hfchen​,

This is a tricky one. I can't think of a streamlined and easy way of doing this within Canvas. Are you a Google user by chance? I would probably handle this using a Google Form. The form would include a question for the name of the student being evaluated, and a question for their score out of five or ten, whichever you decide. You could sort the results by their answers to the first question, then have Sheets calculate the average grade for you.

Back in Canvas, you can either use the results of their peer review to influence their overall group grade - perhaps as a line item on the project rubric, or create a separate assignment with no submission and use their average score as their grade on the separate assignment.

Peer review of group participation would be an interesting feature request. I'd be curious to see the number of votes it would garner.

View solution in original post

I haven't used peer review in a few month. But is there some kind of export if I do peer review with a rubric containing scores? As far as I recall a few months ago. If you do a peer review with a rubric of score between 1-5 and assign 4 people to review every entry. There is no tool to average the score of peer review for every student. Did i just overlook something?

It looks like this very thing was requested earlier this year, but it didn't gain much traction:

You could resubmit the feature idea, perhaps with a detailed description of the project and how the idea would be leveraged. Let us know if you decide to do this and share the link to the feature request. I can think of several of my own faculty who would make use of this type of functionality in group projects.

For now, I'd probably stick to using a Google Form or another survey tool that aggregates data into an easily editable spreadsheet.

Hello Brian,

I have created a new idea request for this. Please take a look and provide feedback. I'm sure I overlooked something or perhaps misphrased something.

Thanks.