cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner II

Is there any way I can get a list of students who didn't submit an assignment?

Jump to solution

I have an assignment (not a quiz) that has not been graded yet (so exporting the gradebook doesn't help). I'd like to get a list of the names of the students who didn't submit the assignment. The SpeedGrader is of no use since, while I can see who didn't submit the assignment, I don't have any way to copy-paste the names into, say, a text document. Since my class is large, I have too many students to write/type them out by hand. Does Canvas provide me any way to do this?

16 Replies
Highlighted

Yes, and I find that Canvas especially fits that bill when it comes to dealing with large enrollment university classes (and unfortunately, the powers that be in my university have once again picked a technological solution with minimal to no input from the instructors most impacted by the large enrollment limitations of Canvas).

Highlighted

Use the message students who feature as abunag@pacific.edu‌ suggested, but once you have the list of students you want in the addressee list, highlight and copy the list to your clipboard. Paste the list into Word (or whatever). You might have to clean up formatting or some extra text, but you can do that pretty quick with "Find and Replace." It should be fairly painless. 

Will that work, hasti@cs.wisc.edu‌?

View solution in original post

Highlighted

That works. It's clunky (and I really hate that Canvas provides so few places where I can get my hands on my students' names in the format: Last Name, First Name so I can more easily match my large enrollment classes with the roster information my university provides me), but it's better than hoping I type all the names correctly!

Thanks dhulsey@nmjc.edu‌ and abunag@pacific.edu

Highlighted
Surveyor II

Beck -- We have a third-party solution called Dropout Detective; we are a Canvas partner -- https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/partnerships/aspiredu?sr=search&searchId=e6776f02-...‌.  We'll give you two ways to solve your problem.  Through the user interface, you can click through your list of students and we display an Overview page for each student.  One of the items displayed on each page is "# of Missing Assignments."  Dropout Detective administrators could also download a CSV file and you could sort your portion on the number of missing assignments.

We do require a contract with the school, and we do have additional fees.  But we have over 140 Canvas schools as clients and plenty of good references.  If you are interested, just search "Dropout Detective" in this Community.

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

hasti@cs.wisc.edu

It would be nice if the feature was already in Canvas. But since it is not, here is a method you can use to get you through until another method comes along. This is a quick 'hack' that will get you a list of student who DID submit the assignment even though it has not yet been graded. You can then compare this to your course list and get the students who did not submit the assignment.
I know it's not exactly what you were looking for, but it is a big step along the path, depending on your workflow.

There is more than one way to do this, but I'm going to give a pretty straight-forward method:

The first time you do it may take you 2 min. Beyond that... about 30 seconds.

1. Go to the assignment you want to analyse
       for example: https://<YOUR_DOMAIN>.instructure.com/courses/5472/assignments/439
  2. Add the text api/v1/ between the .com and word 'courses', then add /submissions to the end of the URL.
       for example: https://<YOUR_DOMAIN>.instructure.com/api/v1/courses/5472/assignments/439/submissions
  3. Press enter on your keyboard (you should see some results in JSON format. If you're not familiar with JSON, that's ok. Basically it looks like a lot of raw text in your browser.)
  4. Copy all the results to your clipboard.
  5. Paste the results into https://json-csv.com/ (you will get an error message... we'll fix it in the next step)
  6. Remove the 'while(1);' from the beginning of the text you just pasted. (error message fixed and download button appears)
  7. Click on the 'Download' button and then open in your favorite spreadsheet.

Important Note:

It is easiest to compare this assignment info to a downloaded CSV of your gradebook.

The downloaded assignment info you created above contains the user_id field in column H. That field is the same as the ID field in column B in your downloaded gradebook.

I would normally make a quick screencast, but I won't have time to get to that until this afternoon.

Edited--- Screen recording / demo attached

I hope this helps!

Mike

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

hasti@cs.wisc.edu,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Highlighted
Surveyor

Is Canvas listening?  Can this be added to Canvas in the very near future?