cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Is there any way to tell how long a student spends on a particular page in a Module?

My college has a (loosely enforced) "required amount of time spent in classes" per week, in order for a student not to be dropped for non-attendance, even in a 100% online course. I know I can see how much time a student spends logged in, but many of my students are complaining that the number isn't accurate, that they of course spent more time than 23 minutes in one week on all the work.  Is there any way I (as an instructor) can see how much time a particular student spent, say, reading the lecture, or watching a video, etc.?

8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Have you clicked on each student's name and then "Access Report"?

Highlighted

I have; all that seems to give me (at least at my school) is the "times viewed" (middle column below) and "last viewed" date (far right column below), not the actual amount of time they spent during those times viewed. I mean, I can figure it out somewhat from their hopping from page to page, on a certain date, but I just had someone note that they spent hours on the last thing they viewed on a particular day. I don't know of any way to figure that out as being accurate. Access Report

Highlighted
Community Member

Valerie, I apologize for being curt and to-the-point.  Welcome to Canvas.  To see how much time, click on people on the left-hand side.  You will see everyone who is in your course.  Click on a name, and you will see their profile information and any recent messages/ discussions from them.  On the right-hand side, you'll see 2 links that will be helpful.  The first is Student Interactions Report, and the 2nd is Access Report.  Both of these should help you.

Highlighted

Jennifer--

You weren't curt (and I've been on Canvas a while :smileygrin:).  The thing is, the analytics (interactions report and access reports) at my college does not provide how many hours or minutes a particular student spends on a particular item in the class. It tells me how many page views, and participation. I can see how many minutes they have logged in, in the people page.  But I cannot tell how many minutes a student spends on a particular discussion, assignment, or lecture. I'm looking to get that information.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Valerie, the only time I know you can do what you need is with an assignment graded with Speedgrader.

Best of luck.  Maybe ask your technology department if they have an idea.  Best of luck!

Highlighted
Community Member

Valerie, I also know that when a quiz is completed, you can look at how long they took on each question, if they looked away, and how long the total quiz took.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

rohretv@scc.losrios.edu,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I also would like to be able to see how much time a student spends on assignments... It doesn't look like we're able to do that...  it would help though. Rick M. 

0 Kudos
Labels