cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prl
Surveyor

Items randomly disappear during copying/duplicating

I have a quiz (graded anonymous survey if that is important), which I am trying to duplicate 11 times. Strangely enough, there is no "duplicate item" function in canvas and I was following the suggestion from this forum. Basically, I copy this quiz from the same (current) course. Ok, the first time it worked fine and I have now 2 quizzes. I renamed one and tried this again, this time with two of them. Now, only one got copied.

Long story short, I was not able to go above eight quizzes (yes, I tried to rename them or not). Now if I copy one, two, or more quizzes, some (random) existing ones get deleted. This is really very frustrating because each quiz is a lot of work and all I need is to change the title of several duplicates.

I tried copying to another course and then back from there. Same story (both ways). I am really quite surprised that such a basic operation as duplicating the item takes so much effort and does not work in the end. So, I am quite certain that I am doing something wrong.

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening, @prl ...

Sorry to read of your frustrations with duplicating a quiz.  That certainly sounds frustrating.  I'm not too sure that I have an answer as to "why" this is happening...as it seems the steps you've been trying should be successful.  By chance, do you have access to Canvas Commons?  If so, another option for you to try would be to share the quiz to Canvas Commons.  Then, import the quiz from Commons back to the course (changing the name of the quiz each time).

Another option for you...have you tried using the "Duplicate" option for Quizzes?

I am not sure if this was the process you were already using, but if not, you could try the steps outlined in that Guide...selecting the same course that you were already logged into.

Give these things a try, and provide us with an update when you can...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

mmoraiti
Surveyor

I recently learned (after what you're describing happened to me and a quiz "randomly" (not quite!) disappeared after I copied another) that the second time you copy a Canvas quiz into the same course, it overwrites the first copy (name/instructions/questions/settings). That's how it is designed, surprisingly! This means that you can only duplicate a Canvas quiz once, and the second time you copy the same quiz it will overwrite the first copy (even if you had renamed/edited the first copy).

If you want to create multiple copies of the same quiz, you need to copy the latest copy each time: if you have a Canvas quiz named "Quiz 1", for example, you can duplicate it by copying it, and then you will have two identical quizzes named "Quiz 1". If you duplicate the original quiz a second time (even if you had renamed/edited the first copy!), it will overwrite the first copy. In order to create more copies without overwriting the first copy, you need to rename your copy to e.g. "Quiz 1 copy" so you can distinguish between the original and the first copy, and then to create another copy of the same quiz, you instead need to copy the first copy, "Quiz 1 copy", and so on. Just make sure that you never duplicate the same quiz more than once, and it should be fine.

I hope this helps!

mmoraiti
Surveyor

I recently learned (after what you're describing happened to me and a Canvas quiz "randomly" (not quite!) disappeared when I copied another) that the second time you copy the same Canvas quiz, it overwrites the first copy (name/instructions/questions/settings), even if you had renamed/edited the first copy. That is how it is designed, surprisingly! This means that if you want to create multiple copies of the same quiz, you need to copy the latest copy each time and make sure that you never copy the same Canvas quiz more than once. For example, if you have a Canvas quiz named "Quiz 1", you can duplicate it by copying it into the same course, and then you will have two identical quizzes named "Quiz 1". If you copy the original quiz a second time (even after having renamed/edited the first copy), it will overwrite the first copy. In order to create more copies without overwriting the first copy, you can rename your first copy to, e.g., "Quiz 1 copy" so you can distinguish between the original and the first copy, and then in order to create one more copy of the same quiz, you copy the first copy, "Quiz 1 copy", instead of the original, and so on.

Just make sure that you never copy the same quiz more than one time, and it will work fine.

I hope this helps!

ironj
Surveyor

Any thoughts on how to recover an assignment after it has been overwritten? It doesn't appear in "undelete".

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @ironj ...

If you are quick enough, you may be able to recover the assignment via your school's "test" or "beta" environment.  These two environments are separate from your school's Canvas "production" environment...which is the environment that you are typically used to logging into throughout the week.  I'll provide you with a couple links on how to access your school's "test" and "beta" environment.  Just be sure to log out (How do I log out of Canvas as an instructor?) of whichever environment you are in before you return to your school's normal "production" environment.

I hope these Guides will be helpful for you.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care...be well.