JavaScript/ Chrome 81 & 83

Jump to solution
perkinkd
Community Member

Canvas directions says to use JavaScript.  How do I know if I have it or not and then, how do I add JavaScript to my laptop? 

Next, Supported Browsers indicate Chrome 81 & 83. How do I upload/download these? I have the Chrome symbol on my desktop, so what do I do now? Frustrated.

Please advise.

Kai Perkins

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@perkinkd  

JavaScript comes with the browsers, so if you have a supported web browser, you have JavaScript -- there's nothing extra to download or install. It can be disabled, but not easily, so it's likely on. If you open Canvas with JavaScript enabled, you will get a big box that says "You need to have JavaScript enabled to access this site."

If you have Chrome on your desktop, you can double click it. Most modern installations of Chrome are set to automatically update to the latest version (83), but you would need to open Chrome for this to happen. You can also force an update to the latest version by going to the Chrome menu (3 vertical dots at the top right unless your version is really old), choosing Help, and then About Google Chrome.

If you have a system without a desired browser on it, you can use Google's search engine for "download chrome" or "download firefox" and get a link that will take you to the correct place to download it.

If you have an older system, you should also apply any operating system updates. These normally enhance security or fix bugs. Each browser has a set of minimum requirements that may prevent you from installing the latest version of the browser. For example, if you're using a Macbook, you cannot get a supported version of Safari if you have not updated your operating system since September 2017.

View solution in original post