cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor

Kaltura Video Quiz: multiple attempts?

We are using Kaltura to do our media content, and one of the options is Video Quiz (external tool), where you can take a video and insert/overlay questions during the playback, and the results are automatically put into Grades.  However, I have discovered that there is apparently no way (e.g. using Edit Assignment) to allow multiple attempts at the quiz.  This seems awkward.  Is there something I have missed, or a setting at the Admin level that needs to be turned on to allow this?

15 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

david.white@hccs.edu, I apologize that your question has been sitting out here for so long without a response--but it appears you have the Community stumped! Were you able to devise a solution independently, and if you were, would you take a moment to let us know how you accomplished this? In the meantime, I'm going to attempt to enhance the visibility of your question by adding a few tags and sharing it with Certified Partner - Kaltura‌ to get the attention of the folks who work with Kaltura, specifically.

No solution has yet been uncovered.  I ended up having to take the original video and embed it in the instructions to a regular quiz, which I flagged to allow unlimited attempts.  This is not as elegant a solution as I desired, because students can and do just keep trying answers until they get it right.  Also, I suspect they share answers --at least in the Video Quiz, they'd have to sit through the entire video to get to the last question.

In the video quiz - how do you make them sit through the entire video b/f getting to the last question?  The videos I create in Kaltura unfortunately allow the students to simply jump to the quiz question on the play bar.

I don't think you can, alas.  In an ideal world, Video Quiz would allow you to create a pool of questions for a given spot in the video, allowing for a bit of randomness.  This would cut down a bit on the "Skip to 3:20 and mark 'C'" business that goes on and make them watch the video --until, of course, the entire pool's contents are known and "If it gives you this question, mark 'C' and if it's the other question, mark 'D.' "

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello david.white@hccs.edu‌...

While I don't have an answer for you, I thought I would check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this discussion topic for over a month.  In reading through the conversation, it doesn't appear that you've yet found a great solution to the question you initially posted.  Is this still the case?  Or, have you found a solution that you would be willing to share with members of the Canvas Community below?  Since there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic for over a month, I'm going to mark it as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope that is okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon, David.

No, I'm still waiting on an answer.  It may be I'm the only person in all of Canvas to want to give multiple attempts on a video quiz...

You are not alone. I too am looking for an answer to this question. Wonder if the - https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/partners-platform/kaltura will say yes or no?

Surveyor

david.white@hccs.edu and acohen1@nova.edu‌, I'd be interested if you get any info on this as well. We also have Kaltura as our video provider, and have in-video quizzing enabled. I haven't had anyone ask about the ability to allow multiple attempts, but I imagine it will come up eventually.

The lack of attention may be a signal that not may people are actually using Kaltura for Video Quizzes.