cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Keeping withdrawn students in the Canvas course shell as inactive?

Hi,

We use Banner as our SIS, and since we've been on Canvas, any time a student withdraws (after the drop/add period), they disappear from the course. This means their last activity disappears, as well as assignments, etc. I was told that during a demonstration last week by Canvas, members of our team were told that this means we have something set wrong between Banner and Canvas, and that if a student withdraws, it should be triggering them as inactive in the class and not removing them. 

If you are a Banner school, do you have this working where students remain in the course in Canvas when they withdraw, and they're set to inactive via an automatic transaction from Banner?  

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Samantha

8 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

This is how our Banner/Canvas feed is set up too, and I don't recall being told it was improperly set up.  I'll be interested to hear anyone else's feedback on this.

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

We don't use Banner, however I might have some input if it works similarly to our SIS system. We generate CSVs nightly from our SIS system and we have a script that uploads those CSVs to Canvas. One way to do an SIS upload is called "batch" mode which you can read about here: SIS Import Format Documentation - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation  

In batch mode, any enrollment that is not in the new CSV file will be deleted. In order for Canvas to mark students as "inactive", the enrollments CSV that is uploaded should have a line that marks the students as inactive in the status column.

Highlighted

We're doing real-time transactions for these - so there's a transaction being triggered in Banner for the withdrawal, but when it gets sent to Canvas, it's processed as a delete.

Highlighted

Darn, I wish I was able to help! I hope that someone else using Banner will have some good insight for you. 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

zowada-a,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Highlighted

Hi Robbie,

The only answer seems to be that there is no way to do this with Banner, which can't possibly be the case, and I'm not sure if that's true, or if there's some setting that is off somewhere. If you have any insight into this, anything would be helpful!

Sam

Highlighted

Hi, zowada-a‌.

I'm not familiar with Banner, but the bottom line is that whatever method you use to feed the enrollments has to set the status for withdrawals to "inactive" not "deleted".

If you use SIS Import via CSV, see: the enrollments.csv section of SIS Import Format Documentation - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation.

If you're using the API, see the "Conclude, deactivate, or delete an enrollment" section of Enrollments - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation

Highlighted

Hi Nelson,

We thought we had, but nothing we do seems to fix this (although maybe the new Banner-Canvas integration that's coming will). I was hoping to find a Banner school who had this successfully working so they could point us in the right direction.

Thanks for your comment!

Sam

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels