cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tom_gibbons
Adventurer

Keyboard shortcut to activate the context navigation in the new UI?

Jump to solution

Is there a keyboard shortcut to expand and bring the context navigation into focus in the new UI?

OR

Is there a way to force the context nav to stay open, regardless of the width or zoom of the window, and not have it collapse into the hamburger menu?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Tom,

As a more recent update to your question, I asked the product team and they said they are looking into this as a possible future enhancement but are not actively working on it at this time.

Thank you for your feedback!

Erin

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@tom_gibbons ​, I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but I'm going to move your question over to the New UI: Users Group. That's the group for people using and testing thew new UI so hopefully they'll be able to help!

tkpach
Community Member

I would love to be able to have the navigation remain open as the default, with the collapse being opt-in.

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Tom,

I'm about 98% certain the answer is 'No' on the keyboard shortcut. 

csalazar
Instructure
Instructure

Hello Tom,

Good question. There is currently no setting that allows users to turn the hamburger menu on or off, nor is there a keyboard shortcut that will open or collapse the menu. The window size is the only factor that influences whether the menu shows up or not right now. Thank you for the feedback!

Wow, it's been a while since I was able to get into the community and read updates.

I asked specifically about keyboard shortcuts to toggle the menu open and bring it into focus because we have a user who has some mobility impairment, and mousing up and down the page to pop the menu open is tiresome for him. A keystroke shortcut would allow him to open the menu and potentially use the arrow keys to select items without having to move hands away from the keyboard.

Hopefully this accessibility issue will make it onto development radar without having to wade through the feature request lifecycle.

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Tom,

As a more recent update to your question, I asked the product team and they said they are looking into this as a possible future enhancement but are not actively working on it at this time.

Thank you for your feedback!

Erin

View solution in original post

Thanks, Erin--that's great!

Most of the issue has been solved for this, since the navigation is now visible by default on page load, and you have to actively hide it to get it to go away. This is different than what we were experiencing with the new UI at first, which is that the menu was collapsed by default if the screen width was narrower than 1280px (or thereabouts). Our faculty computers and a good number of our student labs still have 4:3 monitors, so this was an incredibly difficult thing for us to manage on our campus, not to mention the hurdles that it generated for people with mobility impairments and zoomed-in screens. While it would be great to see a keyboard shortcut for opening the nav, it really is manageable, now.