cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor II

LTI External App not showing up

Hi,

I've installed Canvas on my server and am trying to install an external app using LTI 1.3.

According to my Admin View I was successful in creating a developer key associated with the external App:

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 6.41.48 AM.png

However, when I then click on Settings->Apps, it doesn't show up:

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 6.43.34 AM.png

I also clicked +App hoping to see the option of entering in the client id as described here,

but the only options are: Manual Entry, By URL, Paste XML, and by LTI 2 Registration URL.  If someone could please tell me how to input the Client Id I would appreciate it.

Thanks so much!

-Eric

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @kreut ...

Full disclosure...I don't have much experience with this, so I'm not sure if this will apply to your question or not.  I recently saw a question from another user who also had a question about LTI external apps and local installs of Canvas.  I wasn't sure of an answer, so I reached out to one of the Community Managers to see if I could get any insights.  His response was:

I don't know for sure but I'd actually be surprised if they could get an LTI to function on a local install.  I would direct them to the github forum if I were you.

Again, not sure if this will be of help or not, but providing you the information just in case.  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

Highlighted

I do appreciate the thought of posting this question (issue?) at the github repo and have done so.  Regarding the Community Manager who doesn't think this is even possible, might there be a way to verify it?  I'd hate to keep attempting this method of testing my tool if it has no chance of succeeding using my current approach.

Thanks again!

Highlighted

Hello!

I think that community manager was probably me... 😊

Instructure provides Canvas open source free of charge but we don't officially support open source installations.  Many of us here in the community are former Canvas admins but almost all only have experience with the cloud hosted version.  Some engineers do choose to engage with the OS community via the Github forums but as far as I know that is only on a voluntary "passion project" basis.  Personally I would be surprised if all LTI integrations function the same in a locally installed environment as they are designed to do in the cloud.  Unless I received encouragement to the contrary in the OS forums I probably wouldn't invest time in getting them to work.  But remember; you are talking to a guy who hasn't built a web server since the days of token ring intranets and network cards the length of your forearm!