Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Languages in Canvas

Jump to solution

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any plans to add new languages to Canvas? We teach 23 languages and the ones that are not available in Canvas (as far as I can see)  are Afrikaans/Bulgarian/Rumanian/Finnish.

Best regards,

Katrien Delanghe

katrien.delanghe@clt.kuleuven.be

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Katrien,

Thank you for coming here and asking your question.  Welcome!  

Currently Canvas is available in English, Chinese, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Dutch, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, and French.  Obviously there is a cost associated with adding a language.  We have to translate the documentation into the new language and make design choices about how to create the user interface in the new language.  This is more complicated that it might appear as there are often disagreements, even amongst native speakers, about how to translate various feature names and wording.  Words can take up differing screen real estate, etc.  There is also then an ongoing cost in keeping that user interface and the documentation up to date as Canvas changes.  Because of this we are very deliberate about how we decide whether or not and when to translate.  The decision often comes down to usage and also to what our development plans are in a given region or nation.  I can in no way promise but I know that there is a possibility that we may translate into Finnish at some point (again, no promises!) but I personally would be surprised to see Bulgarian or Rumanian coming soon.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Katrien,

Thank you for coming here and asking your question.  Welcome!  

Currently Canvas is available in English, Chinese, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Dutch, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, and French.  Obviously there is a cost associated with adding a language.  We have to translate the documentation into the new language and make design choices about how to create the user interface in the new language.  This is more complicated that it might appear as there are often disagreements, even amongst native speakers, about how to translate various feature names and wording.  Words can take up differing screen real estate, etc.  There is also then an ongoing cost in keeping that user interface and the documentation up to date as Canvas changes.  Because of this we are very deliberate about how we decide whether or not and when to translate.  The decision often comes down to usage and also to what our development plans are in a given region or nation.  I can in no way promise but I know that there is a possibility that we may translate into Finnish at some point (again, no promises!) but I personally would be surprised to see Bulgarian or Rumanian coming soon.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Highlighted
Community Member

Hello,

It looks like the Get Localization website was shut down some months ago. Where does Canvas localize its iOS apps these days? The Russian localization has some bugs I'd like to address.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi pjb5406@psu.edu‌,

I'm not sure if this is the answer you need, but I'm curious if this helps:

https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/25561-how-to-change-the-language-in-the-app 

Thanks, 

Ryan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

No, I'm not looking to change the language in my app; I'm looking to change the translation for one of the UI controls in the app itself. I can see where the strings files are on GitHub, but they are imported from somewhere else, and I'm trying to figure out where that is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Ah, I get it. You might want to contact some of the top users of commits for that repository. They work for Instructure and might be able to help you out. 

0 Kudos
Labels