cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smn58467
Community Member

Late Turnitin assignment updates

Jump to solution

Is it possible for students to submit later updates to their assignment (late) when using Turnitin?

I have a Turnitin assignment created. I've selected "accept late assignments". I'd like students to be able to submit second drafts after the initial due dates to the same assignment. 

This was doable before I started using Turnitin. Is Turnitin preventing this? How to fix it?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dhulsey
Adventurer II

Hi, Steven. You can do this, but, if you are using the LTI tool, it is designed for one  submission per assignment. If a student resubmits to the same assignment, the resubmission wipes out the previous draft and any data associated with the draft, such as originality reports, Peermark data, and feedback from the instructor. However, Canvas will retain copies of the various files.

The setting to allow students to resubmit is in the Turnitin optional settings. You can find out more about these settings here: https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/plagiarism/blog/2015/04/18/canvas-and-turnitin?sr=search&sear...‌.

Having said all of that, the LTI tool for Turnitin works best when you use one Canvas assignment per draft.

Does that help?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
dhulsey
Adventurer II

Hi, Steven. You can do this, but, if you are using the LTI tool, it is designed for one  submission per assignment. If a student resubmits to the same assignment, the resubmission wipes out the previous draft and any data associated with the draft, such as originality reports, Peermark data, and feedback from the instructor. However, Canvas will retain copies of the various files.

The setting to allow students to resubmit is in the Turnitin optional settings. You can find out more about these settings here: https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/plagiarism/blog/2015/04/18/canvas-and-turnitin?sr=search&sear...‌.

Having said all of that, the LTI tool for Turnitin works best when you use one Canvas assignment per draft.

Does that help?

View solution in original post

smn58467
Community Member

I must have missed your response originally, but I am glad to have it. Thanks. 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @smn58467 ...

As I was reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, I came across your question and noticed that we have not heard from you since you first posted this question on October 4, 2017 and then received a response from  @dhulsey  later that day.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that you received from Dallas?  If so, did his response help to answer your question?  Are there any outstanding questions that you have yet as it relates to your initial question about Turnitin?  If you feel that Dallas' response has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still in need of some assistance from members of the Community, please come back to this thread to post a message below so that we might be able to assist you.  Since we've not heard from you in four months and since there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for the same amount of time, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that will not prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Steven.

ethomas
Community Member

Are there integration settings at the institution level related to this? Because our implementation does not behave this way. If I have selected "allow late submissions", and the student has submitted a paper, they are not able to submit a second submission (in this case, an update to fix a formatting error) via Canvas/TII if it is past the due date/time. At least not when I have the Similarity Reporting turned on.

I see that the only options for similarity reporting inherently prevent the student from re-submitting in the case I describe above. The only options for the Similarity Report drop down list are:

• Generate reports immediately (student cannot re-submit)
  • Generate reports immediately (student can re-submit until the due date.) After 3 submissions, reports generate after 24 hours. <== this is what I use
  • Generate reports on due date (student can resubmit until due date.)

So, what I think I'm seeing is that because I'm using the basic TII plagiarism checking, the system prohibits late re-submissions.

I welcome suggestions to work around this or a link to an enhancement request to fix this so I can vote it up.