cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Late policy with multiple attempts on a quiz

Jump to solution

When using the late policy, If a quiz has been allowed to have multiple attempts and is set to take the highest score, If the newest submission is late the late policy overrides the highest score function and applies the policy to the newest score on the test. Has this been caught in the beta testing? I would think that if the teacher allows the highest score grab on the multiple attempts, that it would apply the late policy only if the newest score was the highest, or override the late policy.

38 Replies
Highlighted
Hi, are you using new quizzes or old quizzes?
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Erin,

I’m using classic quizzes. Should that even matter?  Seems like this is a gradebook issue that should be programmed for both types of quizzes. 
Thanks!

Katie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hi, Katie
If you're still seeing this issue, I'd recommend submitting a ticket again, as it was originally resolved for Classic Quizzes.
Thanks,
Erin
Highlighted

Thanks, Erin,  

I just called Canvas Support, and they are looking into it  (again).  

Katie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Learner

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to add to this conversation AGAIN, but I think we really need to come together and let Canvas know that this BUG has not been fixed.  I think we all may have "missed it" when Erin asked us if the link (above) addressed the same concern.  It was a good start, but still hasn't fixed every scenario with the problem.  So...you may see the problem LESS but it's not gone.  Here's an example:

A student takes the quiz and scores 8/10.  Then she takes the quiz again (late) to study for the test, and again scores 10/10.  But the late policy applies since the "highest" score came late!!  UGH!!  This is ALSO happening if the student scores the same with BOTH on time and late attempts.  The late penalty is being applied.

This is very frustrating and Erin Hallmark said I should start a new ticket with Canvas Support.  I am considering pasting my entire back-and-forth thread with a Level 2 Canvas Support person, who is telling me that this programming is doing what it is supposed to do. 

I think Canvas needs to hear from more people about this.  How do we go about it?  Can you believe that the Level 2 Support person just told me to SUBMIT A FEATURE IDEA??????  This is what got us started... wasn't that about 3 years ago!!!?????!!!!!!   

Thanks for any support, here, colleagues.  Is the only idea to beg our institutions to find another LMS that takes our bug-reports seriously?!

Katie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hey, Katie,

Yes, they let me know that they are. And they've found some behavior that is contrary to what we all thought was supposed to happen. They're checking into a few more things and will get back to me as well.

Canvas support is always the best way to get something resolved. The Community is great as a place to let others know about a situation, and Support is always standing by to take the triage to the next level and review the behavior more specifically. The ticket I was reviewing that noted the behavior has been resolved was obviously not clear in its intention, which is why support is kindly reviewing again to make sure we're all on the same page here and know what needs to be done to move forward.

Thanks,

Erin

Highlighted

Thanks, Erin.  I appreciate your help with this.

Katie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Learner

Erin,

Any updates?  There's an old (Archived) idea related to this conversation that has had more recent posts with others having the same issue.  (I'll include the link below.)  Any updates would be appreciated, as I have had to manually adjust a bunch of scores again recently.  THANKS for any help/info you can provide!  

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Make-late-policy-affect-only-attempts-submitte...

-Katie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, @volzk 

The idea you referenced has a note at the top as commented by Instructure; it links to the known issue, which states that the ticket has been shelved by the product team. More investigation will be required as the Gradebook is not compatible with the existing functionality.

Thanks,

Erin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos