cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philippe_vanden
Community Member

Length of a page is limited to how many words?

Jump to solution

After three hours of typing, translating and importing images, I saved my page and it closed with a short message that it contains too many words. Everything was gone… Thx Canvas ;-(( 

At least there should be a warning to fix this limit instead of trashing everything without any way back.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello philippe.vandenameele...

I am sorry to read that your page of content was lost.  While I've never seen an error like the one you've experienced, I have built pages of content that are quite long.  The down side of really long pages, however, is that it's not real great for your students who are navigating on mobile devices.  I know that  @rseilham ‌ has given presentations addressing content for mobile, and so that's something you may want to keep in mind as your are building your content.  Consider chunking out your content into different pages.  Yes, it may take a few extra pages for your students to click through, but it will be better for your students who use the mobile apps.

You may want to reach out to the Support folks at Canvas to see if there is any way to retrieve the content you lost...or at the very least, see if they know if there is a character limit.  You can contact them via your "Help" menu within Canvas.  How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?

I hope this information is helpful to you, Philippe.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello philippe.vandenameele...

I am sorry to read that your page of content was lost.  While I've never seen an error like the one you've experienced, I have built pages of content that are quite long.  The down side of really long pages, however, is that it's not real great for your students who are navigating on mobile devices.  I know that  @rseilham ‌ has given presentations addressing content for mobile, and so that's something you may want to keep in mind as your are building your content.  Consider chunking out your content into different pages.  Yes, it may take a few extra pages for your students to click through, but it will be better for your students who use the mobile apps.

You may want to reach out to the Support folks at Canvas to see if there is any way to retrieve the content you lost...or at the very least, see if they know if there is a character limit.  You can contact them via your "Help" menu within Canvas.  How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?

I hope this information is helpful to you, Philippe.

View solution in original post

James
Navigator

philippe.vandenameele 

Although it won't help in this case, you can save content pages before they are complete. There is also a revision history on pages that allow you to go back to previous versions, so if you had saved it and it got wiped out with the latest changes, you could pull up an older version and at least you wouldn't have to recreate everything.

Regarding your question about the maximum length.

I once did some research into the length of content pages when someone asked this question: Wiki Page: size limit 

The answer in March 2016 was that the maximum length was about 500KB. I just now checked with the current release of the Canvas code and that is still the current limit.

While there, I looked at the code that checks the length and it looks like it doesn't write anything to the database if the length exceeds the allowed size. That is, it doesn't save a partial page. That makes sense because it could cause page corruption if it did. I would certainly check with Canvas support like  @chofer  suggested, but I don't hold out a lot of hope.